American serama thread!

Ive heard people say that Serama's will hatch earlier than other breeds. Has anyone experienced this? Sorry of this is kinda a dumb question this is my first time incubating eggs or dealing with Serama's.
Your question isn't dumb. I just had a hen hatch chicks; 1 serama hatched on day 20 and 2 cochin bantams hatched a day later on day 21. I've had serama hatch on day 19.

Ive heard people say that Serama's will hatch earlier than other breeds. Has anyone experienced this? Sorry of this is kinda a dumb question this is my first time incubating eggs or dealing with Serama's.
Hello from Scotts Hill, TN. I also raise serama; for several years. Perhaps we can swap serama some day as I occasionally look for new genetics to add to my flock.

Be happy and stay safe.

Yes, almost all of my smooth feathered seramas carry the silkied gene and the father is silkied. It's possible the chicks are 1/2 siblings and the eggs just looked alike. At the time, i thought only Angel was laying. (Most of my seramas were broody then!!!! It's possible I got a new layer that week.)

Just when you think you know a hen's eggs... What really surprises me is the size of serama eggs. While small, they are not in proportion to the hen's body. My pure phoenix bantams lay an egg almost equal to the serama, yet they are much bigger. My largest serama hen lays eggs much smaller than her smaller flock mates; even my tiniest hen. Rather explains why serama can't brood 12 eggs like other breeds.

Have a wonderful day!

Last edited:
When you have your Serama's in the brooder do you use a quail waterer or a chicken waterer?
I use the shallowest chick waterer I can find. With the very tiniest I use a catsup bottle cap for water until they're big enough to reach into the regular shallow water container. My wife recently bought me a chick waterer that looks like a miniature cow drinking cup that fits in a punched hole in a plastic bottle/pail-haven't tried it yet.

Back
Top Bottom