American serama thread!

I learned that lesson the hard way! I had a woman excited about buying seramas. Her kids already had bantams, so I sold them both of my chicks the next day after hatching. I saw the chicks eat & drink, and figured all was good. They put the car's seat-heater on to keep chicks warm on the drive home. The chicks settled into new brooder. That night the kids had a school function and when they came home one was dead. The second died sometime in the night.

Now I wait at least a week before selling any chicks. One reason is because they are more fragile - like quail. The second reason is I'd rather have a chick die in my possession than after a kid falls in love.
I think all people that sell birds have had experiences like what you describe. Those that care do what they can to prevent its occurance. I know how I feel when I lose chicks and definitely don't want a child, or any age, to feel the same way.

Some baby pics.
Anna my 8 mo pullet with her newly hatched babies. She set 5 and got 4. (One accidentally popped out behind her in week 2 and was cold too long.) I'm hoping she will take the "backup babies" I set the day after she started. They seem to be running behind. She's a pretty protective girl and nips my hand when touched, so hopefully.
20210514_192149.jpg
20210514_192143.jpg
20210514_192236.jpg
20210514_192153.jpg

Hello! My bantam Cochin just hatched out some chicks! (Our first successful broody hatch!) I got fertile eggs from a breeder. Two Seramas, two Showgirls, and three Silkies hatched Monday/Tuesday. My question is: Do both male & female Serama have noticeable combs at hatch? Both of ours do, and I’m hoping it doesn’t mean they are both boys!
Also, feather sexing doesn’t work on Seramas, correct? Thanks!

Attachments

• 741AFD5B-98F0-4B10-8EB4-525A48FEA179.jpeg
    741AFD5B-98F0-4B10-8EB4-525A48FEA179.jpeg
    954.3 KB · Views: 13
Hello! My bantam Cochin just hatched out some chicks! (Our first successful broody hatch!) I got fertile eggs from a breeder. Two Seramas, two Showgirls, and three Silkies hatched Monday/Tuesday. My question is: Do both male & female Serama have noticeable combs at hatch? Both of ours do, and I’m hoping it doesn’t mean they are both boys!
Also, feather sexing doesn’t work on Seramas, correct? Thanks!
Aww, how adorable!!

Feather sexing doesn't work at all on my seramas. The good news is that they mature very quickly. At about 3 weeks, you may be able to start guessing. A subtle pink hue or slightly larger comb means you may be looking at a male. Many female seramas have a tiny comb that looks like a hair part. It pretty much looks the same at week 3 as it did at hatch. Between 4-6 weeks, you'll usually confirm those predictions.

Silkies on the other hand...... It's a long waiting & guessing game.

3 week old serama
IMG_8290.JPG

Same serama exactly 4 days later.
IMG_8412.jpg

His one month "hatch-day"
silkied serama.jpg

6 weeks

IMG_8932 copy.jpg

IMG_8932 copy.jpg

Aww, how adorable!!

Feather sexing doesn't work at all on my seramas. The good news is that they mature very quickly. At about 3 weeks, you may be able to start guessing. A subtle pink hue or slightly larger comb means you may be looking at a male. Many female seramas have a tiny comb that looks like a hair part. It pretty much looks the same at week 3 as it did at hatch. Between 4-6 weeks, you'll usually confirm those predictions.

Silkies on the other hand...... It's a long waiting & guessing game.

3 week old serama
View attachment 2699894
Same serama exactly 4 days later.
View attachment 2699893

His one month "hatch-day"
View attachment 2699897

6 weeks

View attachment 2699900
View attachment 2699900
That's a huge change in a mere four days!! Wow! Thanks! Guess I'll just have to be patient. I'm glad girls can have combs at hatch. Whew.
I've had silkie before and it took 6 months for the last cockerel to crow... so I know I'm in for a wait again. ha ha. I may get impatient and pay for the $11 dna test on any that don't seem obvious at 3 months.
Thank you for the reply/photos!

Back
Top Bottom