American serama thread!

georgia531

My advice is to NOT be in a big hurry to candle eggs. Especially if you are not sure what to look for! I waited till day 16 and candled one time and could tell immediately which ones were clear/infertile and which ones to put back in incubator.

I read where people candle and pitch early and that worries me. I would not want to pitch out a developing chick!

I bought a hygrometer/thermometer for testing the temp. and humidity for 15.00. Good investment.

I kept humidity around 50% till last 3 days and then increase humidity to 60% by adding extra water.

The chicks can and will hatch out early on day 19 and 20, so be prepared! And I had to pulverize the chick starter so they could eat it. I placed feed in baggie and rolled a glass over it like a rolling pin. Also place marbles in the waterer tray so chicks will not fall in and drown.

Good luck on your hatch...

I have been blessed with a few amazing Serama friends!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Hi! This is Reese the Lakewood, Ohio Chicken Freedom fighter! lol! Thank you all so much for the help. I refuse to let Lakewood ignorance get in the way of the joy of owning chickens! Neither should you ChickenAddict! Start fighting that stupid law!

I wish it were that easy, no I am not grandfathered in. I asked but didn't pry tooo much into it. The sheriff round these parts IS animal control, he drives by daily and waves as I feed the flock treats in the yard. They aren't noisey and they are fenced in the back yard so they don't stray. The sheriff didn't mind them so I think I am good to go as long as I don't go overboard. If the time ever came and they told me I had to get rid of the birds I would fight it but for now since it's not an issue for me yet I don't wanna put a big red flag on my forhead so I will continue to lay low
hide.gif
as of right now I have about 35 banties and every one of them have a name. They are my children in my eyes and I love them dearly
big_smile.png
I can and will certainly do all I can for a fellow chicken lover to win their fight tho! Best of luck to you!!!
hugs.gif

I'm not much for candling eggs till the end... i dont throw away until day 15 or so. i have the hygrometers, the quail waterers, the marbles, so i am READY... you guys got me excited now. i will lockdown on day 17? i think i already backed it up a day on my calender, will have to check. wonder if i have to bring the serama X's in the house in the winter as well? my bathtub is going to be crowded.. i'll just use the outside brooders for them in the winter. they have holes drilled to put lights in. thanks everybody !!

Quote:

I have a few serama x's here and I do for them what I do for the seramas over winter. The bigger they are the more cold they can tolerate, at least thats the way it has been working for me. I left my biggest serama roo outside last year until late december, when the temps went below freezing he started showing signs of stress from the cold so I brought him into the garage. Our winters are BRUTAL. Heck I even heat the cochins when the temps are -40 (with the windchill) for what feels like weeks on end, I feel bad for all the birds when its that cold.

i spent a winter in North Dakota... cant imagine raising chickens there. I didnt even last the winter. December 5 it was -52 windchill, i headed to San Antonio.. how in the world do chickens survive out there? I would imagine everyone heats their chicken coops.

LOL I ask myself every winter what the Heck am I still doing here? Born n raised and still hate winters! Most ppl don't heat their coops but I usually move the whole flock into the 3rd stall garage attatched to the house, there is a heat vent in there so it stays a comfy 50 degrees all winter. Come early spring they go back out to their coop, it's kind of a pain but id rather do it that way then have multiple heat lamps or some sort of heater in the coop, it is insulated but not wired for electricity and I certainly don't trust 200ft of extension cord to carry us thru the cold. I can't take the heat either, im just a big wuss from the land of extreme temperatures LOL

Thought I would share a photo I just received from a woman who adopted Sebastian and Dana, my 6 week old Seramas last weekend.

This is them with Buddy, her 12 year old Golden Retriever
photo.jpg

No idea why it is sideways...I can't seem to correct it in Photobucket
barnie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom