American serama thread!

OH BOY OH BOY......that means fuzzy-butt pictures are coming SOON.........
woot.gif
celebrate.gif
love.gif
pop.gif
I'm ready!

Quote:

REALLY? you think hes a micro or just really small? How old is Lucky now? gosh time flys so fast its hard to remember.....
big_smile.png

Quote:

I have him just where he wants me! I don't think he will ever grow big enough to put with the other birds even if I wanted to!

Quote:
I have him just where he wants me! I don't think he will ever grow big enough to put with the other birds even if I wanted to!

Need HELP iI have a hen in my arms thats lost a toe nail and hasnt stopped bleeding even though I've been holding pressure for 15 mins. She seems to have lost a lot of blood. Its her small toe so I cant wrap it and I dont have anything for this type of problem. So ay advice would be wonderful. Sorry for typing only using one hand.

Ah, I just went through this same thing a week ago. You need to cauterize it. I used a soldering iron. Heat it really hot, and just do some quick touches until it stops bleeding.

I used styptic powder, and or flour to pack the toe while the iron was heating up.

Just improvise if you don't have a soldering iron, but the extreme heat literally burned it closed. My cockerel pulled his whole nail off, leaving just the bloody core, and it was the fastest way to stop the bleeding. I wrote about the ordeal several pages back.

Last edited:
I held my little cockerel for about an hour, to make sure it had stopped bleeding, and it never restarted. The next day his foot was pretty sore, but he's just as normal as can be today, and the wound never reopened.

Good Luck Whitney

soldering would be awful...something to alway keep on hand for cuts and such is brand new tubes of super glue, it is sterile enough , i use it to dock puppy tails , its the same ingred. as glue that surgeons use for brain surgery theres just has gentocin violet added to it. super glue is cheap! I use it on myself all the time for cuts, i cut my finger BAD BAD BAD a few weeks ago while cleaning shome chickens i butchered, i was able to get super glue on it quick before it became a helter skelter situation, it really needed stitches but the glue worked fine...its all healed now 2 weeks later..

Quote:
Where I work I handle a lot of cardboard, and in the winter the ends of my fingers often split. I put a little super glue on it and it helps it heal and immediately helps the pain, too! I hadn't thought of it for chickens. Good idea. How well does it work, though, if the wound is actively bleeding? I've used that stuff they sell in the first aid section of stores called "Nu Skin." That stuff BURNS like crazy! I'd much rather use the super glue.

I keep a little "Blood Stop" powder on hand, too. I use this on my chickens if needed. I know this advice may be a little late for the bleeding toe, but it's good to have on hand for future problems. I know they sell it at Smith Poultry Supply.

I know some people when they dub the combs on their old english roosters just use plain old flour to help stop the bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom