American serama thread!

Went looking thru the brooder again last night and to my surprise find another silkie!!
ep.gif
This time in the patterned group. Still trying to figure out who the carrier is as they are smooth.
hu.gif
I know have my first two silkies.
tongue.png

49849_dsc07111.jpg

49849_dsc07113.jpg

49849_dsc07112.jpg

Quote:
That's weird it looks like one side is smooth and the other is silkied... Do they parents carry the Silkied gene?

Yes, she is the daughter (
fl.gif
) of my Napoleon (smooth) and Fawn (frizzled). They both carry the frizzle and silkie genes.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's weird it looks like one side is smooth and the other is silkied... Do they parents carry the Silkied gene?

I don't know for sure, but in that hatch there were eggs from a pen with a smooth rooster that carries the silkied gene, so I can't really rule out that possibility. I set some more eggs last week to see if it happens again. The two others I hatched out with the baby pictured are both smooth.

Quote:

fl.gif
) of my Napoleon (smooth) and Fawn (frizzled). They both carry the frizzle and silkie genes.

I just got an adrenaline rush

Quote:
fl.gif

I just got an adrenaline rush

big_smile.png
Napoleon and Fawn throw the most interesting babies. I have one completely silkied, one frizzled silkie (the second frizzled silkie I've hatched from them)....others have hatched frizzles and smooth along with silkieds and frizzled silkieds...it's been a great pairing! I will definitely be hatching more of their eggs in March. Their babies are a hot commodity especially since they are always Class As and typy

Last edited:
ICallMyselfCherie' :

Quote:
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
th.gif

Soooo beautiful . . . if you have eggs for sale, any time, ever . . . I want them!
bow.gif

Yes, they should be fine together.

they are in my studio, so easy to keep an eye on, their big problem right now is they keep stealing them back and forth!
th.gif
and i am hoping to sell eggs in the future- i have 2 serama roos, one frizzled and one silkied, which should they go with?

these boys are from June, and I have them as pet quality, so they won't be top of the line for show- but i love them to pieces!
Boaz
file-59.jpg

Joe
file-58.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
If you use a turner, remember to plug it in. I believe my lapse is the cause of all my hatching problems. The chicks were fully developed and dead in the shell on day 22. Checked a couple on day 20, still alive but unhatched. I realized that they weren't being turned, and I plugged it in; I'll find out if it worked this coming weekend.
fl.gif

Update, about my little chick. He/she is a week old today. Its been a lot of work keeping this little one going. He's had to stay inside the incubator for the last week, alone, as he was prone to falling over, and not being able to get up on his own. I was afraid in the brooder, he'd cook under the heat lamp if he fell in the wrong spot. I've been hand feeding and watering him for the past week, getting up in the middle of the night to check on him. I thought I lost him at two days old, but he managed to pull through with a lot of extra TLC.

He/she is really small, and not feathered as well as most 1 week olds, but he's alive!!!
celebrate.gif

69423_01_09_004.jpg

Now here is something unusual that I just wanted to share. I found this little egg on the roost board in with my serama pullets. Its about the size of a small olive. I have no idea what the little string thingy is attached to it!!

69423_01_08_020.jpg

Back
Top Bottom