American serama thread!

Hello! Does anyone have any good tips on preparing birds for show? Like washing white birds, fixing twisted feathers, getting that nasty dirt out from under the scales on their legs (I use an old tooth brush on mine but there's gotta be something better), etc? Thanks!

Good luck on your eggs! I like to say that patience is a virtue I do not have.
I just got a pair from Mr. Schexnayder myself - they are so pretty! I didn't get to see any pictures of them before he shipped so boy was I surprised when I got them. They're gorgeous - they will be a fine addition to my flock. They are a great breeding pair - not too tiny and not too big. I will definitely do business with him again.
He did mention something about having chocolate silks and chocolate frizzles later this year...
droolin.gif

Seramas truly are chocolates....and i LOVE chocolates. Well, all except for the vanilla creme kind. It's so hard to say whether the bold layers of color on Austin is nicer or the delicate lacing effect on the hen. Both lovely!

Three days til lockdown! Hope I get some Serama from this hatch or I'm going to have to wait until I get a pair in May (hopefully) from Jerry.

Patience is NOT one of my strong points.

Forest gump use to say life is like a box of chocolate . In the seramas I see what he mean . That is why I love them u can get anything when breeding seramas .

Yes, I agree. At first I didn't realize that they were so genetically complex but after my first couple of hatches I began to realize you can literally get anything! Getting into this breed with an Old English breeder mindset was definitely the wrong way to go. I have to admit that at first I was skeptical of some of the colors but it didn't take me long to realize the sheer beauty of the different surprise patterns and colors of this breed. So unique and wonderful!
I figured that in breeding a splash to a brown red type I should get similar colors. I was right to an extent - I ended up with a white, a lemon blue, a blue, a black, and a birchen. Almost predictable, right? Then I figured well this is just too easy and bred a wheaton on wheaton - got some sort of black with partridge pattern, three wheatons, a black tailed buff, black tailed white, silver duckwing, golden duckwing, whites, and blacks. Whew! Unravel that one!
gig.gif

there is something on scna about washing whites. I think Edgar put it up. I pen mine a month befor show and keep off of sand. Mine seem to shread their wings.

Hello! Does anyone have any good tips on preparing birds for show? Like washing white birds, fixing twisted feathers, getting that nasty dirt out from under the scales on their legs (I use an old tooth brush on mine but there's gotta be something better), etc? Thanks!

From what I learn and read on scna is not to feed your whites any corn and keep them out of the sun cause it will tent to turn their feathers yellow . Also keeping them on wire cages helps if your dont want your whites getting dirty.

From seeing the color on the cocoapop they sure do reminded me of a breed I used to like, The Wyandotte chickens. Their lacing and color are very similar and so are their pattern.

Last edited:
One of my vet friends told me that Purina Layena is the WORST thing to feed your whites because of the marigold in it. I feed mine Purina Layena so most of my whites look like buffs right now. They are spoiled terribly and refuse to eat other brands of crumble or pellets. They seriously protest. I've tried Aslin Finch, Pallouse, Nutrena, etc... And they look at me like, "Uhh.... What's this?? Is this a joke? Not funny! Where's the REAL food! Now you've offended me and you'd better just give me some treats."

From what I learn and read on scna is not to feed your whites any corn and keep them out of the sun cause it will tent to turn their feathers yellow . Also keeping them on wire cages helps if your dont want your whites getting dirty.

• Administrators
  • bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 4,475 posts
Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:42 PM
Washing White Bantams
By Matt Lhamon

I have used Hartz Mountain White Dog Shampoo or Tide with Bleach Alternative with much success the last few years and thru the bluing away. Tide with Bleach Alternative has a whiting agent which really makes the birds stand out. 1st tub, I put a couple capfuls of Shampoo or Tide in the wash water along with 2 oz of Pyrethrum concentrate per 4 gallons of water to kill any external parasites. If the bird is real dirty I will put Shampoo or Tide right on the bird in the dirty area. Then I use a plastic bristle carpet brush to scrub the bird real good always working with the lay of the feathers. Once the bird has been scrubbed thoroughly, I clean the head and feet areas and rinse completely in clean water in the second tub. The Dog shampoo will turn the bird's feathers real blue so be sure to get it rinsed out well especially in the quill areas. In the third tub I use 1 cup of White vinegar to 4 gallons of water to cut any excess suds. The fourth tub is optional but I use about 6-8oz of Glycerin to 4 gallons of water to restore oil to the feathers. Towel dry and leave the bird dry in the sun or under heat lamp till completely dry. White birds should be washed about 3 days before the show, colored birds about 7 days. I only use a blow dryer on my Cochins and then only to fluff the bird up after it has dried naturally for awhile. Poor washing/drying job will do more harm than good to the bird, take your time and wash well getting all stains and dirt out, rinse well and get all the suds out and let the bird dry naturally so it can get its feathers back in place. Keep your show boxes full of fresh clean shavings as many a good White bird has been ruined in transport to the show. I have a few different methods for Washing Reds/OE/Moderns as the hard feathered birds can be easily ruined by improper Washing also.
Edgar K Mongold

President

Thanks Anna! I guess I missed that one somehow. I did get some super cool top secret tips but I'm nosy and I want to know what everyone else does, haha. Yes the wings get the worst! I don't know how they do it.

Back
Top Bottom