American serama thread!

Hello there. I see you said this picture is 3 months old.
I was wondering whether you could post a current picture, as I have a little roo that looks very similar to your boy (7-8 months old) and I'd love to see how he might develope :)

Hello there. I see you said this picture is 3 months old.
I was wondering whether you could post a current picture, as I have a little roo that looks very similar to your boy (7-8 months old) and I'd love to see how he might develope :)

I hope this helps out I took them today. (tile on the floor is 6" squares for scaling) I haven't gotten him weighed yet.

He was getting ready to crow!

Finally a close up if its needed.

By the way he isn't that old either (about 6 months) so he is still developing.

What will you be using them for? Then maybe we can best advise you. : )

~ Aspen

They would just be for pets - no showing, no breeding.  I just have general questions...  Are they flighty?  Do they get along with other?  What's  their personalities... That kind of thing. 

They are great! not flighty, very friendly, mine get attached to people and become house chickens!
I handle mine a lot from hatch, including grabbing one and walking around doing chores while on my shoulder, on my arm while at the computer or just general snuggling while watching a movie :D

They just need to be kept warm so their coop/house/sleeping area needs to be at least 60F
I'm working on how to make a mini chicken coop that is heated for them but since I tend to hatch/raise them for kids I don't get to keep many.

Hey Serama peeps I have eggs listed on the sale page from my littlest two pairs of Serama. Can see pics of them on my website varnerlanefancies.weebly.com They are the darker one's look for these names...lol...Romeo, Cassanova, Lacey and Gracie. The weight of the mottled colored pair are Lacey 11 Oz., Romeo 10 Oz.
Cassanova 13 Oz. and Gracie 12 Oz.
I just hatched out 3 more of these tiny cuties...lol...about the size of cotton balls. Of course the eggs look like those tiny Easter malted milk eggs.
Hope to have pics of the new one's soon.

so here is my "chocolate" roo, this is a bad pic of him but this is his coloring (for now) he did not want to pose for me but he has a very nice stance, he could use a little work though. I notice now that he does have the red areas on him so does that count him out? He is also 3 months older than this pic is. Any and ALL criticism is welcome, I need the feedback so I can improve and learn, thanks!!

I can be wrong but I don't think your rooster is chocolate. That said, chocolate does not affect/change any feathering that is red so it's real hard to know when the feathers are red. The tail and some on the wing might give a clue but it's so hard to see chocolate on a patterned bird. If there is even a single black feather there, he's not black. Chocolate can't affect part of the black feathers and leave the rest black, it dilutes any/all of the feathering that is black and changes it to chocolate.

Here is one of my chocolate hens, Kiss. See how there are no black feathers? Look at her legs too. These are the typical color of a chocolate. They are yellow with a chocolate over the yellow like the black ones have yellow with black over the yellow (it's called swarthy).

And this is Latte. She is also chocolate, her dad carries chocolate and her mom was chocolate. She has red leakage, her dad looks like any other wheaten but he is a chocolate split and carries one copy of the chocolate gene so he pass it on to his chicks. You can see the red on her in this picture. See her legs? That's what chocolate legs look like.

Here is my black rooster that I have had these girls with. Their cockerel chicks will all be chocolate carriers and all the pullets from this cross will be black, no exceptions. That's how you can tell if they are truly chocolate, by breeding. If they don't produce as expected, they aren't chocolates. I moved these hens to Tigers pen, he's my younger chocolate carrier and I'm getting chocolate chicks from that cross, as expected.

They are great! not flighty, very friendly, mine get attached to people and become house chickens!
I handle mine a lot from hatch, including grabbing one and walking around doing chores while on my shoulder, on my arm while at the computer or just general snuggling while watching a movie
big_smile.png

They just need to be kept warm so their coop/house/sleeping area needs to be at least 60F
I'm working on how to make a mini chicken coop that is heated for them but since I tend to hatch/raise them for kids I don't get to keep many.

The full grown ones? Or just the young ones? I don't really have a good way of keeping their coop that warm...

Back
Top Bottom