American serama thread!

so my husband was gardening and found some nice juicy worms, so he offered them to our half grown leghorns, but they turned up their nose at it, then he offered them to our younger Crevecoeur and leghorn chicks, they turned their nose up at it, finally, he offered them to Harriet and she gobbled them up! Seeing this, the other 3 smaller Seramas grabbed a bit of the worms before they were all gone as well! LOL. No worries, they have access to a bit of grit ;) At least I hope no worries! Guess I should keep an eye on them, the youngest are only two and a half weeks old...

I have a question, hopefully someone will know the answer to. I bought a trio of Seramas a few weeks ago, they are about 5 months old. The roo appears to be a smooth feathered Serama ,but his hackle feathers are starting to turn upwards the longer they get. They are wispy and almost getting a feathered back look (LOL!! Term straight from the 80's). I wish my DD were home, to take a pic and post it.
th.gif
I'll post a pic when she gets home. Is this normal in a Smooth Feather?

I have a question, hopefully someone will know the answer to. I bought a trio of Seramas a few weeks ago, they are about 5 months old. The roo appears to be a smooth feathered Serama ,but his hackle feathers are starting to turn upwards the longer they get. They are wispy and almost getting a feathered back look (LOL!! Term straight from the 80's). I wish my DD were home, to take a pic and post it.
th.gif
I'll post a pic when she gets home. Is this normal in a Smooth Feather?
Er... more like the 70's, LOL. You youngens.....
Getting ready to winterize pens! Might be the last nice week here in Kentucky!!!
Might be a stupid question, but I'm a stupid S.Cal old girl. How do you winterize a pen? I am new to chickens/Seramas and am so worried about my little ones, I'm sure I'll be too afraid to put them outside (though I will be putting other chicks outside next week I hope)

Er... more like the 70's, LOL.  You youngens.....
Might be a stupid question, but I'm a stupid S.Cal old girl.  How do you winterize a pen?  I am new to chickens/Seramas and am so worried about my little ones, I'm sure I'll be too afraid to put them outside (though I will be putting other chicks outside next week I hope)

WELL BY ME, IT MEANS BRINGING THEM ALL TO BED WITH ME...hee hee
Seriously, wrapping the coop in plastic, or putting some TYVEK on the coop. Maybe even a heat lamp for those down to freezing nite..... just making sure you have a nice draft free place for your sweeties....I put 6mil. plastic around my gazebo with a rolling door [where orange string is]. The coop is inside with a ramp for them to get to the run. works great!

P.S., but I would rather bring them to bed.......:oops:

I've totally closed off my coop with either wood or plastic tarp. Then, on nights it is supposed to be freezing, I turn on a heat lamp where they roost. kind of hard to heat the whole thing, as it it the size of a single car garage. Plus, if any birds have gotten really wet, I will bring them in and blow them dry. Also, to protect their wattles and such from frostbite, vaseline is a good insulator. NOT any kind of cream, but petroleum based. Any others care to chime in on winterizing?

Oh wow, Froggie, I just realized you're not far from me! Ugh, I think I'll keep em in the house this winter, ROFL. Too much work! As I understand it, my other birds should do fine even in snow. Their coops have/will have vents well above their heads, only on one side, so no breeze, but large enough for lots of fresh air. They'll have to stick together to stay warm. I was worried about my two leghorns because there are only two, but they've been doing fine so far (got down to the 40's) So when the others join them, they'll have more body heat.

Since I only have 4 seramas, and I'm a stay at home whatever, LOL, I can take them outside on nice days to play ;) Not too much trouble :D

Back
Top Bottom