American White Bresse

trescloudy

Songster
7 Years
Mar 6, 2016
I've been reading a few threads about this breed. I have 13 chicks right now about 6 weeks old.

I think there may be some confusion about the claim that Bresse are the best tasting birds in the world.

First off, all birds sold as Bresse in France have to be caponized. This is known for making meat more tender and finer textured.

Secondly the French feed their chickens a lot of dairy. Saw a video where they were mixing dairy right into their feed and making it quite soupy.

I'm willing to bet those 2 factors play a huge role in the flavor and texture of the Bresse chicken produced in France.

Neither are difficult to accomplish. I think a very close replication of what the French produce can actually be achieved in the USA.

On that note here is a video of my flock. Sorry about the cob webs, the coop needs a good cleaning through and through.

White Bresse

Bresse aficionados declare they are the best tasting but there are other breeds that claim that fame.
In most cases, those claims are for birds raised in the traditional style and on their native forage.
In the old days, it was common to finish meat birds on grain and dairy.
The Black Penedesenca that I raise is supposed to be organoleptically unique and has a famous reputation for flavor in Catalonia. So much so that they have their own annual festival the weekend before Christmas every year where people buy one of these roosters for their Christmas dinner with a price tag of $50.

I've been reading a few threads about this breed. I have 13 chicks right now about 6 weeks old.

I think there may be some confusion about the claim that Bresse are the best tasting birds in the world.

First off, all birds sold as Bresse in France have to be caponized. This is known for making meat more tender and finer textured.

Secondly the French feed their chickens a lot of dairy. Saw a video where they were mixing dairy right into their feed and making it quite soupy.

I'm willing to bet those 2 factors play a huge role in the flavor and texture of the Bresse chicken produced in France.

Neither are difficult to accomplish. I think a very close replication of what the French produce can actually be achieved in the USA.

On that note here is a video of my flock. Sorry about the cob webs, the coop needs a good cleaning through and through.

White Bresse
I’ve had quite a few breeds and I must say my wife really enjoys the Bresse more than any other we’ve raised. To the point she says no more free young roosters from the neighbors when their “hens” have turned out different than planned.
I’ve not caponized and I haven’t fed the milk and grains either.
I’ve found they fill in quite nicely compared to most
I’m also raising White Cornish I’d put the Bresse between White Cornish and other heritage breeds. The Bresse develop quickly and lay eggs well before any other breeds I’ve had.

I think you will be pleased with them. They also hatch quite well.

I’ve had quite a few breeds and I must say my wife really enjoys the Bresse more than any other we’ve raised. To the point she says no more free young roosters from the neighbors when their “hens” have turned out different than planned.
I’ve not caponized and I haven’t fed the milk and grains either.
I’ve found they fill in quite nicely compared to most
I’m also raising White Cornish I’d put the Bresse between White Cornish and other heritage breeds. The Bresse develop quickly and lay eggs well before any other breeds I’ve had.

I think you will be pleased with them. They also hatch quite well.

This week I noticed the Bresse have surpassed the growth of the egg birds that are a week older.

I have noticed the Bresse seem a little smarter than most if not all other Breeds I've raised. They see a little gap in the door opening and are totally into trying to sneak out. Not saying other breeds didn't do that but these buggers are super alert. They are also kind of cute.

So far I'm pleased with our White Bresse and looking forward to our first bresse chicken dinner.

Here are some pictures I took last night. 20200803_205612_002.jpg

Attachments

• 20200803_205612_002.jpg
    20200803_205612_002.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I'm looking for white Bresse hatching eggs. Does anyone here have a good, reliable source? I'm in Haskell, Oklahoma, and I have had decent success with shipped eggs. Thanks!

I'm looking for white Bresse hatching eggs. Does anyone here have a good, reliable source? I'm in Haskell, Oklahoma, and I have had decent success with shipped eggs. Thanks!
Greenfirefarms has been selling Bresse eggs on eBay for some time now. Best shipping box I’ve seen. Their schedule for start of bid is generally Tuesday.

However shipping anything right now is very risky due to PO cut backs and time sensitive items would be a risk I’m not willing to take. One eBay egg seller is advertising they ship with FedEx, not sure how that would work out.

White Bresse
I have block and White Bresse to taste better than other breeds. I don't feed them milk and special diet.

For those interested in weight differences, I weighed 3 different breeds hatched on Halloween HAL all raised together.

2 Bresse roosters 6 pounds each
4 Bresse hens 4 pounds each

2 Pita Pinta rooster 4 pounds each
1 Pita Pinta hen 3 pounds

1 Bielefelders rooster 4 pounds and while he was taller than all he was still lighter.

I’m liking the results of the Bresse more and more.

Back
Top Bottom