Americana not laying colored eggs......

welcome-byc.gif
dbsnova! Hope you enjoy your stay at BYC!!!

sbluvinit- Hawk is lovely! I have one that looks similar. She hasn't started laying yet, so I have no idea her egg color. She's a hatchery EE too, so who knows?!

Congrats on such a pretty girl!

Last edited:
It may be she's an EE that has some brown egg layer mixed in there and very light tinting so that the blue/green is not visible over the brown. You never know what you'll get from an EE. Blue, green, pink, brown, white and anything in between. They have a mix of genes. If your looking for a certain egg color it's best to ask for pics of eggs laid by related birds or buy colored eggs to hatch. I still don't think that's a 100% gurantee since you don't know what the hen was mixed with but a much better chance than just buying chicks with an odd or mix breed name on them. If you really want pure birds guranteed to lay colored eggs you need to go to a good private breeder with proven stock. Not a hatchery.

sigh - i was so excited to get EE's for my grandson, as he was allergic to eggs as a baby, and altho he outgrew it , is not excited about eating them. he helped pick 3 out at TSC and has watched them grow up, expecting green or blue eggs to try.

no such luck! they are all laying white eggs -some double yolkers,but no colored ones.

Oh well - they still are beautiful birds. we named them all Floptops, as their combs look like big comeovers.

sigh - i was so excited to get EE's for my grandson, as he was allergic to eggs as a baby, and altho he outgrew it , is not excited about eating them. he helped pick 3 out at TSC and has watched them grow up, expecting green or blue eggs to try.

no such luck! they are all laying white eggs -some double yolkers,but no colored ones.

Oh well - they still are beautiful birds. we named them all Floptops, as their combs look like big combovers.

Quote:
Don't feel bad. I didn't know the difference between the ameraucana (sp?) and the EE unti after I bought the birds. I have one that looks just like Hawk, only smaller. She's only 6 weeks old. I'm still hoping for colored eggs, but if not, it's okay. They all taste the same anyway. LOL!
clap.gif

This link may clarify a lot of the disscussions on this topic.

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/2/2-3/John_W_Blehm.html

I seems to be very informative.

I also found this:

"Araucanas and Ameraucanas are also called the "Easter Egg Chicken" because they lay eggs with green- and blue-tinted shells! Araucanas are the "true breed", originating in South America, and Ameraucanas are Araucanas that have been cross-bred with other breeds of chicken but retain the unique coloring of the egg shell."

Who knows?...

Last edited:
I have an EE too, I didnt think she was laying yet until I noticed her come out of the nest box and underneath her was this pinkish brownish egg. I guess I just never really looked that close because I was expecting a green or bluish one!! I have 5 other EEs ordered hopefull at least ONE will lay those pretty greeny blue eggs!!!

Back
Top Bottom