Americana or something else?

With your birds dying the way you describe I would wait until you find out what is wrong before getting another bird. It sounds suspeciously like it could be mareks or cocci to me.

And, it's not an ameraucana.

Like all my ideal birds that began dropping like flies at 10-12 wks, he/she looked a bit puffy in the am, so I brought him in the house and began care...he/she was gone by the evening.... been eating just the day before...
the previous ideal order was for 15 birds (1 month before this order) I lost all but 4.

Now that I reread it sounds like mareks. If she started brooding all chicks in a new/different location, which would keep them clean from the virus until they are older. Or, they could have the blood type that is immune to mareks.

My other coops downstairs contain the birds I hatched and bred...out of 25, I've only lost 1....in a YEAR!

I find it hard to believe that Ideal would be selling crappy/sick birds to everyone and they all die and yet they are still in business.​

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

Like all my ideal birds that began dropping like flies at 10-12 wks, he/she looked a bit puffy in the am, so I brought him in the house and began care...he/she was gone by the evening.... been eating just the day before...
the previous ideal order was for 15 birds (1 month before this order) I lost all but 4.

Now that I reread it sounds like mareks. If she started brooding all chicks in a new/different location, which would keep them clean from the virus until they are older. Or, they could have the blood type that is immune to mareks.

My other coops downstairs contain the birds I hatched and bred...out of 25, I've only lost 1....in a YEAR!

I find it hard to believe that Ideal would be selling crappy/sick birds to everyone and they all die and yet they are still in business.​

Thanks, I missed that part when I went back to reread the thread.
I didn't know if the person on craigslist was losing birds and didn't want to pass it on if they were sick.​

the only Vet here, only sees poultry on Mondays... she left me a message with several things to try, which I did religiously, to no avail. By the time I got to see her, I only had 4 left (only 1 Langshan survived). I brought the vet my remaining birds and the recently passed... I was told she could do an autopsy ect. but it cost quite a bit and her best guess was that they were just a weak hatch (after reviewing all of my feeding, water, and bio safety measures) Ideal pretty much told me there was nothing they could do. They don't guarentee ect ect...

I guess you missed the VET remark...after $85 visit and check-up on the reamaining birds... "it happens, it's a weak hatch" (not mareks, other birds are fine) So said Ideal too...it happens, they say... and yes, unfortunatly they are still in business.​

Back
Top Bottom