Americanas are anti-social !

RoosterCruiser72

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2020
I have a mixed flock consisting of golden comets, dominickers, cinnamons, rhode island reds & americanas (easter eggers) . Got 4 of each except the cinnamon chickens, i lost one of them as a chick. Anyway so out of 19 hens only the americanas are anti-social with me. We have handled all our hens since they were chicks and I can walk up to any one of em at any time and she will squat to the ground and let me pick her up. Not the easter eggers !! They will run every time ! Every now & then for a treat ill sit in a chair and hold a ear of fresh corn and let em peck it. The squabbles they can get into over that are hilarious ! But I swear,,the americanas ? Forget it ! They will just stand off to the side and watch all the others have a good time with me and the corn. Ive never had easter eggers before and thought it would be neat to have some blue/green eggs in the fridge but these hens are just not my friend. Nor my wifes friend either. I doubt ill ever have any more of em (the thrill is gone over blue eggs lol ) is this normal for this breed ? Anybody know ?

When discussing chickens and attempting to get feedback on behavior, it helps us to know the age of the chickens. All of them. Chicken social order, while fluid, is based solidly on seniority.

EEs are generally people friendly, but individual temperament does play a role.

Anyway so out of 19 hens only the americanas are anti-social with me. We have handled all our hens since they were chicks and I can walk up to any one of em at any time and she will squat to the ground and let me pick her up. Not the easter eggers !! They will run every time ! Every now & then for a treat ill sit in a chair and hold a ear of fresh corn and let em peck it. The squabbles they can get into over that are hilarious ! But I swear,,the americanas ? Forget it ! They will just stand off to the side and watch all the others have a good time with me and the corn. Ive never had easter eggers before and thought it would be neat to have some blue/green eggs in the fridge but these hens are just not my friend. Nor my wifes friend either. I doubt ill ever have any more of em (the thrill is gone over blue eggs lol ) is this normal for this breed ? Anybody know ?
I have a flock of ten seven month old pullets including two Easter Eggers and my EEs are the only layers who don't squat. They aren't afraid of me, but they just mind their own chicken business. I assume that is just their personality. That's not to say that every EE would be like that, they're all individuals.
One of my EEs is second in the pecking order and the other is near the bottom. Both are excellent layers and active foragers. I really like them 😍.

I currently have 2 EEs, one of them is one of my most skittish birds (she'll run if you look at her) and one of them is like this:

onehander.jpg

I have 11 ameracaunas and none are human social. They will follow if I have food or treats but don't want any interaction. The three adult hens are our main rooster's favorites, though, and he- a Blue Andalusian- is very skittish with people. He's a beast with dogs, cats, etc., but gives folks a wide berth.

When discussing chickens and attempting to get feedback on behavior, it helps us to know the age of the chickens. All of them. Chicken social order, while fluid, is based solidly on seniority.

Id say all 4 of em are somewhere in the middle of pecking order. 2 of my dominickers are the queens of the coop ! While most likely one of my cinnamon chickens is on the bottom. They are all the same age. Theyll be 2 yrs old in march.

If that was one of mine youd have to use both hands and oh my gosh the cackling and squalling youd have to hear !! Lol. Nice pic.

She's 2 1/2 years old now and is still like that. Hates being touched on the back (so no picking her up like a football), but if you just use one hand and slide it underneath, she'll quietly sit with her legs dangling like that. I hold her over my head and play "airplane" with her, zoom zoom.

Back
Top Bottom