Amers d’Anvers

Pics
Gosh I'm not sure. Most common LF would probably be something like Orp or RIR. Maybe BR or Wyandotte. For bantams I'm assuming OEGB or RIR.

Duck would probably Runner. Maybe Saxony or Cayuga.

Goose I'm thinking Pilgrim or Chinese.

That is so neat! I love the new number system.
Oooo these guesses are very, very interesting. Just so you know, the most popular LF are not what you'd commonly see in a backyard, nor are the ducks or geese. In case someone else is going to guess, these hints might help.

What are the rarest in each category?
The rarest chicken is the Russian Orloff. Just one. To be fair, they aren't in the Standard anymore, so...
The rarest bantam is a tie between Minorca and Vorwerk. Also one.
Turkeys have 339.
Guineas 189.
The rarest ducks are Australian Spotted and European Pekin with 2. The Australian Spotted isn't in the Standard and European Pekin... why are they trying to push very stout Runner ducks? Happily, no Standard duck breeds are struggling, probably because there are so few there are enough breeders to go around and many waterfowl breeders from the Upper Midwest think they can singlehandedly raise every duck breed in the Standard and are quite successful. No breed has less than 50. Weirdly enough, the rarest, Crested at 61 got reserve of show at WI International, proving that while you have a 50% throwaway rate, the breed isn't floundering.
Most uncommon goose was the Canada at 5. Honestly, the fact that there were Canadas at all surprises me because I've never seen one at a show and struggled to find breeders of the subspecies for show. The subspecies is the most common in the wild and all you see around here but seems to be the rarest semidomestic subspecies. That said, maybe they showed duskies for funzies. Geese also weren't doing too poorly, except Steinbachers, which are a recent addition with only 21.

The rarest chicken is the Russian Orloff. Just one. To be fair, they aren't in the Standard anymore, so...
The rarest bantam is a tie between Minorca and Vorwerk. Also one.
Turkeys have 339.
Guineas 189.
The rarest ducks are Australian Spotted and European Pekin with 2. The Australian Spotted isn't in the Standard and European Pekin... why are they trying to push very stout Runner ducks? Happily, no Standard duck breeds are struggling, probably because there are so few there are enough breeders to go around and many waterfowl breeders from the Upper Midwest think they can singlehandedly raise every duck breed in the Standard and are quite successful. No breed has less than 50. Weirdly enough, the rarest, Crested at 61 got reserve of show at WI International, proving that while you have a 50% throwaway rate, the breed isn't floundering.
Most uncommon goose was the Canada at 5. Honestly, the fact that there were Canadas at all surprises me because I've never seen one at a show and struggled to find breeders of the subspecies for show. The subspecies is the most common in the wild and all you see around here but seems to be the rarest semidomestic subspecies. That said, maybe they showed duskies for funzies. Geese also weren't doing too poorly, except Steinbachers, which are a recent addition with only 21.
Interesting!!

Ok, time for the answers! I'll mercifully put them in spoilers in case some late fellow wants to participate.
Most common poultry breed entered? Old English Game Bantams, at 4799.
Second most common? Call ducks at 3327.
The most common LF breed entered was Cochin at 965 but this was only a third of bantam Cochin numbers which were 2889. Second most common? Ameraucanas at 934. Duck? Calls, but Runners were second with 950. The most common goose breed was Sebastopol at 368.
The third most common breed was Silkies at 3066.
It's pretty sad how few large fowl there are. 7 of the bantams are up there in the thousands but even the most common LF doesn't make it that far.
Also, d'Anvers folks need to work harder. There were 900 d'Uccles but only 691 d'Anvers. They should be at least equal, imo.
Oh, by the way, the Old English numbers are kinda skewed because in the south they hold all game shows so they must be very popular there, but it's not representative of the whole nation, in the same way that the upper midwest CARRIES the waterfowl of the US.

Back
Top Bottom