Amerucana hen or roo?

CoelhoFamily

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2016
Northern California
4 months old and I'm questioning it everyday. My husband and I marked all the suspected hens with a leg band. I am not sure we "guessed" the amerucanas correctly. This ones feathers are more drab than the other 2. What are the tell tale signs?
[/IMG]

Pullet. Drab feathers are usally a tell-tale feminine sign in Easter Eggers (commonly labeled Ameraucanas by hatcheries). This bird in your picture has a very common color pattern for EE pullets. Males are usually more splotchy and colored in a more random way.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Rest easy, that's a young lady.

color is a key indicator for gender. Your bird has smooth, even color. A cockerel of this age would have patchy coloring, with vivid contrast. Plus, he'd be leggier, gawky looking, and have a larger, redder, plumper comb.

This is another one the same age I have one more. We guessed Roo on the one you say pullet due to comb size. The other 2 have smaller combs but shiny feathers.

:welcome

Rest easy, that's a young lady. 

color is a key indicator for gender. Your bird has smooth, even color. A cockerel of this age would have patchy coloring, with vivid contrast. Plus, he'd be leggier, gawky looking, and have a larger, redder, plumper comb. 

Every bird I can see in your pics is female
smile.png

The only one I"m not positive on is the blurry barred bird under the coop in the last pic.

Back
Top Bottom