Amerucanas

There's a great Amerucana thread in Breeds,Genetics, and Showing

To: Chase Chicks,

I love them! they are very friendly, even when the kids pick them up. They originated from the rumpless breed from Chili. The American settlers in the early 1900's crossed to get these birds that now have a tail bone with feathers on it, as well as a beard, rather than ear tufts. They are a fairly new breed acording to the (APA). Also only a few colors are reconized.

I have found that they are often croosed to hatch more for more money. I even have a few (easter eggers) myself; the result of a very happy Mr. Edward Teach ... AKA.... Black Beard. That rooster got every hen he could! OH! and yes I have bought and then found out that they were crossed as they got older. Grey, not black feet, small barely noticable comb, beard, wheaton, red & brown buff, or white. They always have a really wild look to them; even when young. Good luck! My profile pic has my son holding one that is very lovable!

Last edited:
chaseschicks,

Most of mine are crossed; like I said, I have a very happy Black Beard! I don't think that we are very close (geographically), but If you are in our area, I would be happy to let you check out the birds that are not already claimed or bought. My boys have claimed a few, but I do have way more than I need. I am thinking about taking some birds to a local auction. If you look online you may find someone that ships. I know TSC does orders, but I have even gotten mixed ones from them. I don't mind them being mixed, but for breeding I would want to keep the line going.
Baby Amerucana (Diva) on the top, the eggs in the middle are what to expect. 3rd pic is young Black Beard. The fourth pic is the same bird as the first pic at about 6 months.

I could call her to purch, and she came to me by name, This bird is my all time fav beause she thought she was a house bird, and loved to talk in my ear, and be held. She was killed durring a coyote attack early this year, but we do have an offspring, and second generation, and she will live on. If you can't find anyone in your area, you may want to mail order. I have never sent, or purchased through the mail, but many do it all the time.

Chas

Many breeders exist probably all around you. If you care to incubate eggs that is the easiest way to get some from breeders on BYC. If you do a search for the thread "Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds" you will find tons of info, and can ask yourself if anyone close to you has any for sale. This time of year people are starting to cull their flocks (reduce numbers) so you might find some close. There aare different colors such as wheaten/blue wheaten and blue,black and splash, or white, and you are not supposed to mix color groups. You might try googling ameraucanas and look for the national breed websites to educate yourself. Any hatchery that sells a so-called ameraucana which is usually misspelled is probably selling you an easter egger which are mutts that have some ameraucana blood, although many of us own them and love their eggs. If you want to see what is available now on BYC just go to top of page under Forum and drop down to Buy and Sell, then go to hatching eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom