Amish coops - Are they worth the money???

thumbsup.gif
. Beautiful coop! Be happy with your choice, the chicks look happy!

It looks great! There is no way I could make something that good. I know you don't need to have a fantastic looking coop but if chickens are your hobby and ou get a smile on your face to see their great coop, I'd be happy I spent the money ( especially if I added up the labour costs of the number of hours I spent on my much more modest coop).

Quote:
X2 I have seen a few topic threads that warn folks about certain "Amish" co's and their business practices, mainly shipping just sayin. I think the whole Amish thing is way over rated but then again I wouldn't buy anything made in CHINA if I can help it. As with any large purchase do your homework and research and do your best to make the decision that works for you. good luck.

I have the EXACT same Amish coop as you. I've been really happy with it (my chickens are happy too). It seems really well built and definitely predator-proof!

Quote:
YES -- you can find them over at amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Saltbox-backyard-chicken-design/dp/B0050ZDEYO/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_4

These plans are for the the 5 foot by 6 foot version of that coop, but the plans are quite detailed, with materials lists and lots of drawings.

It is pretty easy to modify the plans to the 6 by 8 foot version by just changing the size of the panels and lumber used.

My brother is an excellent carpenter, and he's impressed by these plans. And yes, he plans on modifying them to make the 8 foot by 6 foot version. Says it will be a piece of cake to modify.

BTW, the reason my brother went looking for the plans to build for himself is that the Mennonite builders who supply West Tennessee (the Yoders) have been modifying the buildings they build and drastically cutting back the quality of what they build.

They USED TO build high quality chicken coops (even as late as a few months ago), but the last one that they put on display outside the Mennonite Bakery in Whiteville is not the same as the ones he fell in love with and planned on buying as soon as he could afford it. The builders have cheapened both the design and the construction, and taken too many short cuts -- some of which will drastically reduce the ability of the structure to handle high winds or bad weather.

My brother is a pretty good builder himself, and he showed me all the things they had done to cheapen the process (and reduce the quality).

He was going to buy one from them in October.

Now, he doesn't trust their quality.

He's going to build it himself, using the plans he got from amazon.com.

Last edited:
That coop is a bit pricey but it does look very nice. I surely can't afford that price. I'm a recycler and I reuse materials, so I would never purchase a brand new chicken coop. Take a look at all of your options and see what works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom