Amish Friendship Bread

Laskaland

ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn
11 Years
Aug 2, 2008
Nebraska
Hi. This is a "starter" bread. Someone gave me one years ago, and I wish I had saved the recipie.
Anyone have a good one.
Thank you
Christina

big_smile.png
I call my mother's starter her "other pet". As far as pets go, it makes better bread than any of mine do...

Quote:
Where is Nebagamon WI? Is that near Pewaukee? Lake Nebagamon?? I grew up in Milwaukee and we had a farm near Oconomowoc
Christina

Last edited:
Hi Christina! Lake Nebagamon is a tiny little community about 20 min south of Superior Wisconsin
smile.png
I was born and raised just outside of Madison, but moved up here for college and never left. I think its kind of funny that I now live in a smaller town than the one I grew up in
lol.png
When I was a kid, I didnt think that was possible! Oh well. Anyway, my mother makes some mean poppy seed muffins out of her starter along with about 10 other things
smile.png

I received a starter last srping. It really is amazing how versatile it is. I've been putting my starters in the freezer & grabbing on when I have time. Here's a link to a website with many different variations on the original recipe. We love the coconut/ chocolate chip.

http://www.armchair.com/recipe/bake002.html

My starter has developed a really nice taste over these months of aging and growing.

I use raw sugar, raw milk from jersey cows and unbleached bread flour.

Here is the starter this morning. See that line of hooch?

starter1.jpg

Here is the mix after I fed it. It will rise over the day and fill the jar.

starter2.jpg

Go to my blog link and start a batch now. In 11 days you can bake with it. By Christmas it will have developed an awesome flavor and holiday treats will be amazing.

You can cheat and add 1 package of yeast dissolved in warm water to the milk, sugar, flour and get a jump in your starter.

hehehehe ,,, Thankies M.P. ,, i wasnt sure how long it took,, i know if ya do it too soon its yucky,,, bet i'll have some started by tomorrow
big_smile.png

do you guys send to others to start?,, thats how i got it ,, its like an eatable chain letter hahaha
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom