Amish

ridgefire

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Northern Michigan
Dont know if this the right place for this post, but here we go.

I have 3 roosters that need to find the inside of the freezer.

I dont think I have it in me to do the deed. I hate to admit it but for a big guy I'm way to soft when it comes to animals.

I was told the Amish will process the birds for a few bucks a piece.

Now for the silly question, obviously I cant look them up in the phone book and give them a call. How do you go about setting up to have them process?

Hold on, let me look in my phone book......

Alternators, Alzheimer's Care, Ambulance Service, Amusement Devices...

Well, I'll be!!! No Amish, I guess you're right!

You'll just have to stop the next buggy you see. Wave some roosters at them...

Barring religious irregularities, ie: plain folks being presented with outsiders...

If you are aware of a community of Amish which I assume you are, can't you go to the elder and ask permission to have someone process your birds? If I remember correctly Amish are barter's so perhaps an exchange of some sort.

Ohhh I wanted to be Amish when I was a kid!
hmm.png

I think it a bit presumptive to assume that if a person is Amish that they will automatically be processing birds. I would check around in the community and see if somone knows a person that will do this. In the community I am from there are a couple of small local processing facilties run by the amish. My father was such an amishman whem I grew up. My parents are in central Ill. If you have an Amish neighbor or freind that you could ask that makes some sense to me.

I am not sure I would drive into the first Amish driveway I see and ask them if they will whack your birds for you LOL

It will just take a bit of checking around.

Good luck

And I was not implying that you are presumptive in asking about an amish processor. I just know how some folks view "us" in a pretty general way and it is not always so. I do agree however your odds are better with an Amish farmer than any other.

I am no longer Amish but sure had it in my youth

ETA: I would not assume that an Amish processor would not have an ad in the phone book or a phone. Many communities allow phones in businesses, most must be outside and they will call you back. I have no idea how your communty works but that is how it works where I grew. My cousin has a business and the phone is just outside his door.

Last edited:
Go to their local farm store or feed mill. They'll more than likely be able to give you some names of people to go talk to. Our local Amish auctioneer has a cell phone.

I did forget to say..our community does have phones..there are in little shanties..similar to outhouses, right over the property line of an english neighbor..we have one on our land forneighbors..it is listed by the community name..Cool Springs. The Beachy Amish are allowed to have phones in their homes..Each community has their own rules from the heigth of their buggies, the color of suspenders, or the brim width of their hats..

I think it's a safe bet that if you talk to some Amish in your area, they will at least know of a family that does butchering. Near me, there are signs up offering chicken, turkey and hogs for sale. That would be the best place to start. In any case, I'd look for a family with a sign stating that they're selling baked goods or produce. The Amish can be a bit different, depending on who you talk to. Sometimes I've had them just stare blankly at me when I asked them a question... awkward! That's why it's a good idea to go to a house with a sign inviting outsiders to come in. And never go on Sundays.

I"m in East Central Indiana and have a fairly large Amish community in the area. There is an Amish family about 5 miles from me who processes poultry as a family business. they have a sign on the highway and a phone in a little phone shanty at the end of their lane. They will process every couple months when they get 150 - 200 birds scheduled. they have a state inspector come and watch over them during the day as well. It's all done in a clean room with stainless steel sinks, tables, etc. When I have a group of chickens that needs processed I just check with them to see when they are going to do it next and get on their list. I wouldn't, though, just go ask any Amish in the area. They are nice enough folks, but I'd rather ask a friend to do it if I wasn't going to do it. But, I do it, if I only have one or so anyway.

Back
Top Bottom