Ammonia smell with composting chicken poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Karen27, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Karen27

Karen27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Hi ,
    I am new to composting with chicken poop I just got a dual composting tumbler .I just noticed a ammonia smell today . Any advice on what to do I was going to add some more brown ingredients but I wasn't sure if I should just start over or not .

Thanks,
    Karen

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'd just add to it to even the mix out. It should be okay :)

3. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)

add more brown materials and spray some water in then turn it-- allow air in

if you doing it right there's an earth (wet dirt) like smell- and you can feel the heat when you are turning it

this is why i don't use the deep litter method here.. since my chickens will be baking in arizona heat..

my city has a composting program where they will provide compost bin for free. 1 per household or $5 each.

the compost bin is pretty much the trash can that they cut in half and drilled 2-3 in size holes around the bin

every day i'll put the manure from the coop and run in there and cover it with a layer of brown materials (usually dried leaves) and spray some water on it..i'll turn the pile every few days

http://eartheasy.com/grow_compost.html
    https://www.epa.gov/recycle/composting-home

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  4. Karen27

Karen27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Ok thats what I am getting fro you and the other guy that replied , Thanks !!

5. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

you're welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by