1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ammonia smell with composting chicken poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Karen27, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Karen27

Karen27 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2015
    Hi ,
    I am new to composting with chicken poop I just got a dual composting tumbler .I just noticed a ammonia smell today . Any advice on what to do I was going to add some more brown ingredients but I wasn't sure if I should just start over or not .

Thanks,
    Karen

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'd just add to it to even the mix out. It should be okay :)

3. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)

add more brown materials and spray some water in then turn it-- allow air in

if you doing it right there's an earth (wet dirt) like smell- and you can feel the heat when you are turning it

this is why i don't use the deep litter method here.. since my chickens will be baking in arizona heat..

my city has a composting program where they will provide compost bin for free. 1 per household or $5 each.

the compost bin is pretty much the trash can that they cut in half and drilled 2-3 in size holes around the bin

every day i'll put the manure from the coop and run in there and cover it with a layer of brown materials (usually dried leaves) and spray some water on it..i'll turn the pile every few days

http://eartheasy.com/grow_compost.html
    https://www.epa.gov/recycle/composting-home

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  4. Karen27

Karen27 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2015
    Ok thats what I am getting fro you and the other guy that replied , Thanks !!

5. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

you're welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by