Amoxicillin and chickens

Yes, orally means down his throat. When giving amoxicillin I mix the appropriate dose with a bit of coconut oil, refrigerate until hard, and give like a custom pill. Amoxicillin will settle out when mixed in water, adding it to drinking water won't give the correct dose. You can also mix it with something like liverwurst and feed it. You have to make sure he gets the whole dose. You also need to give it every 8-12 hours. If you can catch him tonight when he is roosting, then keep him in a wire crate in the run where he can still see and be seen by the other birds, keep him there until you have completed treatment if he's too hard to catch each time. For difficult birds, catch after dark, and then wrap in a towel like a burrito while handling them to help you and minimize hurting them. Pull down on his wattles, give the medication and let go of the wattles and let him swallow. If he has a respiratory infection then you may need to use something like Tylan instead of amoxicillin. If you don't see improvement with the amoxicillin, you may need to switch to something else.
Thank you for explaining. Its helped ALOT!

In case anybody doesn't know, you can also get pet grade amoxicillin in aquarium and pet shops for aquarium use, but it is just base amoxicillin and can be used safely on other animals and even people. Easiest way to get amoxicillin without a prescription.
I got amoxicillin for fish, it says 1 pill for 10 gallons of water. So 1 pill twice a day for 4 days??

I think the amoxicillin dose for chickens is 125mg/kg twice a day or 100mg/kg three times a day. 1kg = 2.2 pounds, so unless your bird is small, you probably aren't giving enough. :D

-Kathy
Goid morning. I have some childrens amoxicillin can I give this to my 3 month old cochin she has a bad cough and yellow drainage coming from her nose her eye is also swollen. She weights around 2 pds.gow much shoukd I give her if I can give it to her?

Goid morning. I have some childrens amoxicillin can I give this to my 3 month old cochin she has a bad cough and yellow drainage coming from her nose her eye is also swollen. She weights around 2 pds.gow much shoukd I give her if I can give it to her?
Can you post a picture of the bottle?

The reason not to eat eggs from a chicken on any drug is that people eating them can be allergic to the drug--this is done with most chicken medicines because a certain amount of the drug can be passed in the eggs or meat until a proper withdrawal period. Eating those eggs could possibly cause you to become resistant to amoxicillin if you ever needed it for an infection. This is how antibiotic resistant bacteria (think MERSA) come about.

The resistant bacteria is referred to as MRSA. Very hard to treat and usually never get rid of it.

I have a Rooster that we rescued. He has a cold and I'm wondering if I can put some of my amoxicillin capsule powder in his water if I seperate him. He is a big boy and won't let us catch him or hold him. Though we are able to separate him from the girls. I think the amoxicillin is 500mlgrams. And if I can put it in his water...how much do I put in the water?

Maybe you can pick him up from the roost at night. Then use a towel or blanket to wrap him in. Talk to him and love on him the whole time you are working with him.

If it is capsules (either 250mg or 500mg of amoxicillin), you will have to open the capsule and pour out the medicine on something in a line and divide that up. No real way to be 100% accurate unless you have a milligram scale so just do the best you can.

If you want to get a good scale that gives you all types of weights, I got mine a Kitchen Store at the Outlet Mall.

Back
Top Bottom