Amoxicillin Help

Cecisflock

The Backyard Brahmas
Nov 19, 2020
Des Moines, Iowa
Daytona has a respiratory infection so I bought the only amoxicillin and it antibiotic at my feed store. Are they ok to use? I have both amoxicillin and penicillin. It sure which one to use.
image.jpg

What are you wanting to treat her for? Amoxicillin is much better than penicillin, since many bacteria can be resistant to penicillin. Amoxicillin is used for reproductive infections, and wounds to prevent infection. Amoxicillin dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day given orally for a 5 pound or larger chicken for 7-10 days.

What are you wanting to treat her for? Amoxicillin is much better than penicillin, since many bacteria can be resistant to penicillin. Amoxicillin is used for reproductive infections, and wounds to prevent infection. Amoxicillin dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day given orally for a 5 pound or larger chicken for 7-10 days.
She has a respiratory infection. I believe related to being at the fair. There is lots of wheezing and coughing. No liquid out of the nose however she has difficulty breathing.

I completely understand dosage and resistance. I understand risks to a degree. I just need to know if Fish antibiotics are safe and going to help.

I completely understand dosage and resistance. I understand risks to a degree. I just need to know if Fish antibiotics are safe and going to help.
Depends on the cause of respiratory infection.
If those are all you have, then try the Amoxicillin to see if that helps. If you are dealing with MG, then it may not be that effective since MG has no cell wall.
Tylan/Tylosin, Denagard (Tiamulin) and Tetracyclines are more commonly used to treat symptoms respiratory infection.

Depends on the cause of respiratory infection.
If those are all you have, then try the Amoxicillin to see if that helps. If you are dealing with MG, then it may not be that effective since MG has no cell wall.
Tylan/Tylosin, Denagard (Tiamulin) and Tetracyclines are more commonly used to treat symptoms respiratory infection.
Thank you. Honestly not sure what I Am dealing with as the emergency vet turned us away at the door. I would like to call my usual vet tomorrow and get her opinion on it.

Thank you. Honestly not sure what I Am dealing with as the emergency vet turned us away at the door. I would like to call my usual vet tomorrow and get her opinion on it.
Her face is not swollen and neither is frankly any part of her. I’m wondering if it just a little infection. Almost like a human flu? Not sure she’s doing well despite th wheezing

Back
Top Bottom