Amoxycillin dosage

EDS

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2023
My hen has a prolapse which win't stay in but because she is still laying the vet can't do the purse-string stitch to keep her vent partially closed. He gave her an antibiotic injection and a metacam anti-inflammatory injection and sent me off with a course of amoxycillin capsules that I have to mix in porridge (for example) every 12 hours. The capsules are 500x250mg and I mix the powder with the porridge (or spaghetti 'worms') so that she will eat it. Unfortunately there isn't 12 hours of daylight here ... 10 hours at the moment, 7.30am until 5.30pm so I have had to give her second dose early. Apparently this is dangerous as it depletes potassium levels (so I have been giving her some sunflower seeds to try to help with that). Firstly, does the 500x250mg dosage seem excessive? I can't find anything on the internet to put my mind at rest. Secondly, do you think that holding a bright torch at 5.30am to light up the inside of her coop would wake her up enough to want to eat? I will check with the vet on Monday about the dosage and impossibility of giving it every 12 hours.

250mg twice a day, is that the dose the vet prescribed?

I would also offer yogurt every other day to help keep her probiotics levels up
Yes, 250mg twice a day. I managed to get her first lot in this morning at 7am with the help of torch light and again at 6pm tonight. I will never manage a full 12 hours between doses though ... I had to wake her up both times today. I will get some live yoghurt tomorrow and offer it to her as you suggested. Thanks for your help.

@SmiYa0126 I am not good on the internet so don't know about tagging with @. Anyway yes, dosage 250mg twice a day. Will get some live yoghurt today for her. Presently getting up before sunrise and feeding her the antibiotic under bright torchlight, which so far has worked. Only managing maximum 11 hrs between daily doses though but hopefully won't cause her any problems. Giving her sunflower seeds to replace the potassium that an 'overdose' of antibiotics can cause. Prolapse still won't stay in though. Wiping her bum with iodine in water, smearing canesten cream around the vent and putting KY jelly onto prolapse to stop it drying out. It seems very pink and healthy now with no signs of scabbing that she previously had on there. Other than that, she is dying to get out of the (big) coop which we have put her in to limit movements (eg jumping and running) hoping that the prolapse will eventually stay back inside her. The vet put her on 7 days of antibiotics as she showed signs of infection (water-belly and vent cleet) but that doesn't seem so bad now. Once I have finished with the meds I can put her with my other 3 rejects and hope they don't reject her.

Do you have photos of the prolapse?

She's getting Calcium to help with retention correct?
I will take a photo tomorrow. She gets the usual shell and hen grit, and baked eggshell. I don't give her any 'calcium' supplement though, but I have live yoghurt to mix in her mash. What would you recommend?

Tonight, with her meds I put in a sprinkle of a probiotic powder that I was originally given to add to one of my cat's food. She ate it anyway.

That's great! How is she eating?
@SmiYa0126 she eats very well even when I wake her to give her her meds. She's happy enough in herself, I just wish I could put her back with the others but until I find a way to hide the prolapse I can't. I have 3 other hens that were picked on that are together elsehere and I might put her with them to see how they get on - hopefully, knowing that they didn't enjoy being picked on themselves they won't turn on her. You never know.

Back
Top Bottom