Amoxycillin dosage

@SmiYa0126 she eats very well even when I wake her to give her her meds. She's happy enough in herself, I just wish I could put her back with the others but until I find a way to hide the prolapse I can't. I have 3 other hens that were picked on that are together elsehere and I might put her with them to see how they get on - hopefully, knowing that they didn't enjoy being picked on themselves they won't turn on her. You never know.
Ok, that's really good!

Attachments

• C2A15ED9-CF77-4DBE-9CFC-05565E46CC83.jpeg
    C2A15ED9-CF77-4DBE-9CFC-05565E46CC83.jpeg
    505.1 KB · Views: 1
She had just laid an egg. At the moment she is in my polytunnel having a dust bath. I did try to put her with the 3 other hen rejects but she immediately started to fight with one of them.

It is pretty important to get calcium with vit. D started right away. Tums is okay to use. At the least grind up one whole egg shell as finely as possible, and feed that to her with a bit of cooked egg. Shells are pure calcium. You would want to keep her separated at least in a dog crate from other chickens while she has a prolapse, or they will peck her, possibly severely injuring her. Once her prolapse stays inside, she is okay to go back with the others.

It is pretty important to get calcium with vit. D started right away. Tums is okay to use. At the least grind up one whole egg shell as finely as possible, and feed that to her with a bit of cooked egg. Shells are pure calcium. You would want to keep her separated at least in a dog crate from other chickens while she has a prolapse, or they will peck her, possibly severely injuring her. Once her prolapse stays inside, she is okay to go back with the others.
I have just ordered some calcium citrate from Holland and Barratt which will be here in a couple of days. Meanwhile I will grind up some egg shells and give them to her tomorrow with some hard boiled egg yolk. She is separate anyway but I let her stretch her legs a bit today and let her in the polytunnel with me - where she had a dust bath - so I had to wash-down her behind again this evening. Would you recommend putting Anusol on it? (A haemorrhoid cream same as Preparation-H I suppose). I just don't understand how something that shrinks varicose veins can shrink the prolapse but so many people recommend doing this. She bleeds a bit when she lays an egg - the shell is perfect. I honestly don't think that the prolapse is ever going to stay inside.

Sometimes it can take a week or so for the prolapse to stay inside. Many use hydrocortisone cream, but honey or sugar with a few drops of water can also reduce swelling. PrepH is okay too. Any oil or cream is alright.

Poor thing.
I agree, I'd keep the tissue moist. Get some calcium into her to help with retention and of course finish the meds that your vet prescribed.
Hopefully she will improve soon.

Sometimes it can take a week or so for the prolapse to stay inside. Many use hydrocortisone cream, but honey or sugar with a few drops of water can also reduce swelling. PrepH is okay too. Any oil or cream is alright.
It has been a good couple of weeks now, at least. I have just moved her into a different pen having taken the 3 rejects out of there and put them back with the main flock but in a segregated area to get used to each other again. Prolapse hen will have her final dose of ampicillin tonight ... that will be 7 days twice a day. Her prolapse doesn't look any different, very dirty bum again so I think that I will have to bring her in tomorrow for another bucket bath to give the vent area a good soak, clean and disinfecting. This time I think I will TRY the anusol cream, I don't expect it will make any difference though. I don't have hydrocortisone cream and it's not something I can buy over the counter here. She's happy in herself, eating ok etc and scratching in the dustbath. I got the calcium citrate tablets today so have just crushed one up and am just boiling a bit of spaghetti and rice because she readily eats the spaghetti worms and the amoxycillin and calcium powder will readily stick to it. I will just keep plodding on - and at least I will get a lie-in tomorrow! I also have some honey as I kept bees, so I might try smearing her prolapse with that. I don't know which to try first, the honey or the anusol. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom