Amprol in strawberries???

The_Flock

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I have a young RIR hen (just a year old) and I'm treating her for cocci. It's a "just in case" thing, as she has yellow poops, is a bit slower than normal, and her comb is a bit pale. It could be a pest infestation (again!!) that's causing this, and she may not need the antibiotics. But the vet and I decided to treat her for a laying issue initially, then give the Amprol after, in case it's cocci. I had one very grown girl with a lowered immune system show excess cocci in her poop last year. So obviously it's around my coop. And then I saw the whole flock of 11 itching while roosting. We do have huge and bad mosquitos here, but I couldn't see any when they were itching. So having already had a mite and lice infestation I treated them all for that.
Anyhoo, the hen on Amprol cannot be separated from the others right now because anywhere where I can put her separate is so terribly HOT and humid!! She has to stay with the others.
So...can I put her dose of Amprol into squished strawberries, and get it into her that way? I put 1.25ml into 500ml of water, which she barely drinks any of. Not that she's refusing water, it's just alot of water to drink. So if I give her the meds with the strawberries I'm guessing she doesn't need the whole dose? But I'm not sure what to give her then.
Please help me figure this out. 😊

I'm treating her for cocci. It's a "just in case" thing, as she has yellow poops, is a bit slower than normal, and her comb is a bit pale. It could be a pest infestation (again!!) that's causing this, and she may not need the antibiotics. But the vet and I decided to treat her for a laying issue initially, then give the Amprol after, in case it's cocci.

I saw the whole flock of 11 itching while roosting. We do have huge and bad mosquitos here, but I couldn't see any when they were itching. So having already had a mite and lice infestation I treated them all for that.

So...can I put her dose of Amprol into squished strawberries, and get it into her that way? I put 1.25ml into 500ml of water, which she barely drinks any of. Not that she's refusing water, it's just alot of water to drink. So if I give her the meds with the strawberries I'm guessing she doesn't need the whole dose?
Amprolium is not an antibiotic:)

If you can't separate her from the flock, then just let the whole flock drink the mixed solution instead. It won't hurt them.

If you see scratching, then re-check for lice/mites to make sure this is not the issue.
Did you clean out and treat their housing including roosting bars and nesting boxes?

Photos of hen and her poop may be helpful.

Vet was treating for laying issue-did they explain what kind of "laying issue" that she may have? No fecal float to see if Coccidiosis was the main problem?

If you can't separate her from the flock, then just let the whole flock drink the mixed solution instead. It won't hurt them.

If you see scratching, then re-check for lice/mites to make sure this is not the issue.
Did you clean out and treat their housing including roosting bars and nesting boxes?

Vet was treating for laying issue-did they explain what kind of "laying issue" that she may have? No fecal float to see if Coccidiosis was the main problem?

I too was thinking of treating the whole flock because they are on an egg withdrawal from mite and lice treatment anyway. I will be retreating them a week from today for the pests. I have sprayed the coop all over, and will do it after the second treatment too.
My vet and I have a very good relationship, and I really don't have much money right now (thanks c-vid), plus I still owe them from earlier in the year. So we are doing this a bit blind. The laying issue was suspected peritonitis, but she didn't get better after a 7 day course of oxytetracycline. She hasn't necessarily gotten worse either.
So we decided over the phone to try the Amprol, in case she too was affected by the cocci here. I gave her the first dose yesterday and she seems a tiny bit better today. Now...that could be because she has had the mite and lice treatment going through her since Sunday. OR...it could be the Amprol. Not too sure. Lol.

Thank you for the info about Amprol not being an antibiotic. 😊 What is it, if it's not an antibiotic?

It says in an article or thread here that amprol can be used orally. It even gives the dose. Have you ever used it this way?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210629-115349_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210629-115349_Samsung Internet.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 5
The laying issue was suspected peritonitis, but she didn't get better after a 7 day course of oxytetracycline. She hasn't necessarily gotten worse either.

What is it, if it's not an antibiotic?

It says in an article or thread here that amprol can be used orally. It even gives the dose. Have you ever used it this way?
An antibiotic may or may not help a hen that has Peritonitis. At best it's a short term measure to see if the hen can be more comfortable.

Amprolium is a Coccidiostat. It acts as a Thiamine blocker to help reduce the number of Coccidia (starve them out).

I'll give you a link to that screen shot you posted. You may want to read that again. Yes. You can give an Oral Drench to a bird for a few days, but that is IN ADDITION to them drinking the medicated water for 5-7 days.:)

Not sure what withdrawal periods are in Canada, but there is no egg throw away in the US when using Amprolium.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
1624983029052.png

An antibiotic may or may not help a hen that has Peritonitis. At best it's a short term measure to see if the hen can be more comfortable.

Amprolium is a Coccidiostat. It acts as a Thiamine blocker to help reduce the number of Coccidia (starve them out).

I'll give you a link to that screen shot you posted. You may want to read that again. Yes. You can give an Oral Drench to a bird for a few days, but that is IN ADDITION to them drinking the medicated water for 5-7 days.:)

Not sure what withdrawal periods are in Canada, but there is no egg throw away in the US when using Amprolium.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
View attachment 2739756

Ah...yes. I understand all of it now. Thank you.

I have 3, sometimes 4 water bottles on the go because the cliques here are strong, they need a few so no one is getting bullied out of hydration. Right now it's so hot and humid that I have electrolytes in their water almost everyday. I can tell the difference when I don't put it in.
So...do I put electrolytes in 2 of the bottles, and Amprol in the other 2 and hope she drinks it?

Thank you, I so appreciate your help. 😊
Btw...in Canada we have a 5 day egg withdrawal with Amprol. 🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom