Amputation of Pekin Leg?

Dani loves ducks

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2021
Here I am again searching for options for my duck, Sally, who has been diagnosed with Osteomyelitis. The vet said to euthanize, that there was "nothing that could be done for her," last Thursday, and I made the appointment to do so tomorrow. Of course, I'm on the internet finding out as much info. as I can before I follow through for my otherwise happy duck who eats, drinks, and swims (when I put her in the pool). She deals with her limp. Now I'm considering amputation, but wonder/worry about the after-care, pain. Would it be worth it for her? Does anyone have experience going through an amputation with their duck? She's an adored pet as you can find from my other threads.

I saw a thread recently may have been one of yours where some one posted pics of wheel chairs for ducks? Being she is Pekin and they are large breed I'd think if she had one of those she could live a wonderful life with you.. Other wise she may have a problem getting around with only one leg. A small breed light weight would probably fair better. But as for pain yes she'll have pain but they will give her pain meds and most likely with your care she'll recover fine. Being put to sleep for the surgery is always a risk but might still be a better alternative than saying good by for good.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duck-with-broken-femur-advice-nee these stories arent about amputees but these ducks were put under for surgery and did great.

Last edited:
This news article says there’s a company called Hatchtrack that will design and 3-D print prosthetic legs for ducks. I can’t find anything about it on their website, but it might be worth reaching out to ask.

Are you willing/able to dedicate a lot of time and money to ensuring her quality of life? If so, I think moving forward with an amputation is worth a try. If not, it sounds like you’ve given her a wonderful life already and you should let her go. I’m sorry you’re in this position. :hugs

I don't think there is a reason to kill a happy duck just cause they gave a bad leg. I think I agree with Miss Lydia.
Now I dealt with a similar case in which my hen was paralyzed by a hawk and unable to move her lower half. After two weeks she declined further in health and I decided it was not benifitial to her to keep her alive longer and suffer. I euthanized her.
If she had been acting happy healthy and active I would have saved her, but that wasn't the case.

It sounds like you aren't ready to say goodbye, and if your Sally is eating and behaving normally maybe she isn't either.

Yes, Sally will be in pain after amputation surgery. They will give her pain medication to help her manage her pain. You will likely need to keep her on crate rest to protect her incision. Long term she'll need extra care. She might be more likely to get bumblefoot on her remaining foot. She'll probably need lots of soft bedding.

Surgery can be riskier in birds, but my ducks have had surgery safely several times.

If you have the finances and the time to commit to amputation surgery and aftercare, and are willing to accept that it may not work out I think it is worth trying. One way she passes away for sure. Another way she gets a chance at life. I believe I would take the chance.

Thank you very much for all of these comments. It gives me hope that an amputation is an option. I don’t have oodles of money but I would be willing to put a nice some toward her recovery. I am awaiting a call back from the vet to find out more about this surgery.

So the vet said that they neither do intravenous antibiotic treatment nor amputations. The only thing he can offer are oral antibiotics to try to kill this infection. I have the appointment for Thursday which means I do not have to go forward with euthanizing Sally tomorrow at 10 (with the original veterinarian.) If, however, the veterinarian on Thursday says that this infection is uncurable, I might consider humanely putting her down, so that she can avoid sepsis. Another idea is if this veterinarian on Thursday says the infection is beyond curing, I do have a friend nearby who is a homesteader and knows how to euthanize ducks and I could call her the moment I see Sally show any symptoms of sepsis. It won’t be the prettiest ending but it would be very quick. (There would be no stress involved in getting her to the vet again.) My friend could end her suffering very quickly if it leads to that. It’s a horrible thought, of course it is. It’s just difficult to weigh out euthanizing a happy duck or seeing if she goes into sepsis. I think it’s a tough call either way.

Attachments

• 281995FB-0992-4A24-A93A-026B918BE86F.jpeg
    281995FB-0992-4A24-A93A-026B918BE86F.jpeg
    670.9 KB · Views: 9
  • F670C39B-A160-4A27-A7E9-163CDE3A7AE0.jpeg
    F670C39B-A160-4A27-A7E9-163CDE3A7AE0.jpeg
    561.2 KB · Views: 9
  • B5197D98-0FE3-41C4-8E55-7343863D2A02.jpeg
    B5197D98-0FE3-41C4-8E55-7343863D2A02.jpeg
    821.1 KB · Views: 10
I don't think there is a reason to kill a happy duck just cause they gave a bad leg. I think I agree with Miss Lydia.
I agree with you completely. My boyfriend looks at Sally and says there’s no reason to put her down. But the x-ray shows that she’s developed this horrible bone infection that can lead to sepsis which is a terrible way to die. That’s why the vet has recommended euthanizing her. I had another girlfriend say that when birds or ducks, chickens show symptoms, it’s often too late to do anything about it. They are good at hiding disease. And so that is my dilemma; do I euthanize her to save her from sepsis or do I hope and pray for a miracle that the infection can be fought with oral antibiotics? It’s a quandary because she is such a happy duck. I want to hold out hope. And I have her loyal mate, Harry, who is by her side at all times. What will I do with Harry and his grief? It is difficult to say the least.:hit🦤

So the vet said that they neither do intravenous antibiotic treatment nor amputations. The only thing he can offer are oral antibiotics to try to kill this infection. I have the appointment for Thursday which means I do not have to go forward with euthanizing Sally tomorrow at 10 (with the original veterinarian.) If, however, the veterinarian on Thursday says that this infection is uncurable, I might consider humanely putting her down, so that she can avoid sepsis. Another idea is if this veterinarian on Thursday says the infection is beyond curing, I do have a friend nearby who is a homesteader and knows how to euthanize ducks and I could call her the moment I see Sally show any symptoms of sepsis. It won’t be the prettiest ending but it would be very quick. (There would be no stress involved in getting her to the vet again.) My friend could end her suffering very quickly if it leads to that. It’s a horrible thought, of course it is. It’s just difficult to weigh out euthanizing a happy duck or seeing if she goes into sepsis. I think it’s a tough call either way.
Do you have any other avian veterinary clinics that might offer additional services near you?

Back
Top Bottom