An "AHAAA" moment

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by nikkers390, Dec 11, 2013.

1. nikkers390

nikkers390 Chillin' With My Peeps

Tonight I was tucking the ducks, geese and chickens in for the night. I fed them, brought them treats gave them fresh water. Since it was still light, I decided to sit in their pen for a bit. They have not been allowed to free range for a week. It looked crowded in there though no one was complaining.
    I hated to leave them alone after dark since the bobcat attacks. I lost 10 chickens in 2 nights. The 2 lone survivors were in a new pen trying to fit in. I only bought them a week ago. I got 10 pullets 2 rooster. All that's left of that flock is one ugly speckled naked neck pullet with a crooked tail and a young black rooster with a rose comb, pretty mutt.
    As I was sitting, this little hen jumped on my chair and then on my shoulder. She was talking like chickens do. I wish I could understand chicken. It was at the moment when she tucked her head and neck under my chin that I finally understood why some people passionately love their chickens. This was a survivor of 2 bobcat attacks which took 10 of her flock. I know nothing about her except she traumatized and very frightened, but she trusted me enough to approach me and show affection. I had no idea how much heat a naked neck radiates, her neck felt hot under my chin. My immediate response was to stroke her and assure her that it will be OK.
    I just had to share this with others who may understand.

2. nikkers390

nikkers390 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for the double post. Seems I was distracted and had a "senior moment" [​IMG]

3. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Awwww, that is so sweet. Lovely she feels safe with you.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

And thank you for sharing too. I love your story. Yes, chickens are just the best. [​IMG]

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Sweet. That little naked neck hen may become one of your favorites. Sorry about the other losses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by