An American Hermit in Denmark

Hermit House

In the Brooder
Dec 17, 2015
Vadsby, Denmark
So, where is the Hermit House? It's in Vadsby, Denmark.
Here, I'll show you:

Denmark is just to the north of Germany:

Denmark is an island nation, and we live on Sjælland (Sea Land). Malmo is in Sweden to the East. It is across "The Bridge" from Copenhagen.

We are, in fact, 25km West of Copenhagen, the capitol. It takes about an hour or so to get to Copenhagen from here via public transport.

We are about 3 km north of Hedehusene, a nice little town between Roskilde and Tåstrup. There is a music festival in Roskilde every summer (One of the oldest and largest in Europe) and we are close enough to hear the bass line at night when it is going.

As you can see, we live in the middle of farmland. The fields to the south of us are a very large stud farm. 60+ horses. The fields all around us are owned by our neighbour, and are used to grow grain and greens to support a 10,000 head herd of cows. Other than the occasional escapees eating our fallen apples, we'd never know he had so many. Vadsby has been settled since the Bronze Age and has pretty much always been a few large farms. There is supposed to be a lost treasure of silver buried around here somewhere, buried during the 30 years war, if I remember correctly.

Ok, now we are getting to a scale where we can see the .2 acres that we call our homestead. No, that's not a typo 1/5th of an acre.

And here it is in all it's glory. The Hermit House :D Only the bit in the rectangle is ours. We have 3 apple trees, 2 hazelnut trees, 2 plum trees, a pear tree, and the chooks. I'd love more room, but at least our neighbours are fields. That gives is an awesome yard and I never have to mow it. The chickens like the space too. They've roamed as much as half a kilometer away along the fenceline to the East and love the cover when the crops are in. The large white roofed structure to the north is our chicken house, and we now have a largish coop and run just to the left of it. The house is 110 sq m, but the left half is being converted into a wood workshop so we can build coops both for our own use and for sale. Vadsbyvej has a lot of commuter traffic of a morning and evening, and we've already met a number of people who stopped because they wanted to meet the chickens.

So, that's where we* are.

*We is myself, my better half, two cats and 78 chickens.

Ted

Last edited:
Welcome Ted, cats & chickens!
frow.gif
Your place looks idyllic!

I enjoyed seeing Hermit House and the maps. Good luck with the coop building business!

Hi and a warm welcome to BYC - I wish I had space for so many chickens! (Not sure my wife wishes the same though
1f604.png
)

Ct

I'm not sure we _do_ have the space for that many, if I am honest, CT. They invade the fields and I expect our neighbour to show up with a shotgun at any time ;) He's been remarkably tolerant, I have to say.

I'd expected to have many more coops built by now but, you know, reasons. We've a large cull coming up next week though, so that will bring us down to a more manageable 40 or so. I'm still pretty hesitant about it, but it's got to be done. Too many roosters!

Last edited:
I guess non of us have "enough" space but as long as the farmers keep their guns at bay, all is well. Good luck with the cull - not pleasant I agree but it's gotta be done (imo).

Cheers
Ct

Back
Top Bottom