An Eglu Cube Experience

Chick_In_The_Burbs

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Western Washington
Hi all. I've seen lots of postings of people wondering what Eglu Cubes are really like and how they perform. Since I did end up getting one I figured I'd share my experience.

Phase 1: Picking it up. The eglu was delivered in five seperate boxes to the Greyhound station in town. 5 BIG boxes. They were relativly weighty but weren't that unmanageble given their size. My DH and I ended up driving both our cars down to try and fit it all in. We managed it, between his Caliber and my CR-V, but it was a tight fit. I recommend to anyone ordering to borrow a friends truck for pickup if you don't have one yourself. It would have been much simpler.

Phase 2: Building it. The directions were pritty simple. They start out with about three pages with pictures of pieces and the name of the piece below it. The rest of the direction were given with pictures of what you needed to do along with the directions. Probably would have taken me 2-3 hours if I hadn't been missing a rather critical piece. There are two side mounting brackets that help stabalize the front of the coop and keep it at the right angle to properly attach the rest of the pieces. I only received one but after some inginuity on my DH's part we managed to fabricate a replacement piece that worked just fine. We did contact MPC about the missing piece and they said they would contact Omlet on Monday about having them ship it to us. No real issue, we just didn't want to wait to set the coop up. Weather out here (CO) can be crazy and I didn't want to end up with a mess in the half-constructed coop.

The chicks won't be moving in full time for another two weeks or so; but here are some pics of the finished project (and some of my girls, I just can't resist!)

61589_coop1.jpg

Everyone decided to hide in the back when they realized I was taking them back to the brooder. They were going crazy over the bugs and whatnot before I interupted their fun. Shania is in the back, Scrambles is on the left and Sunny is on the right.
61589_3_posing.jpg

*Just realized I posted this in the wrong area. Is there a way to move it over???

Last edited:
Thanks Noodles! I love my girls and I'm hoping they'll love the Cube. I don't know which hatchery MPC drop shipped from but I'm very happy with the ladies. They're all pretty tame and sweet, even if Sunny is flighty as can be.

Quote:
I have.
hu.gif
Roasted and still wiggling. Crickets too. She's not so much flighty with me as she is flighty with EVERYTHING. She'll run right up when the treats are out or just ignore me if I'm not doing something interesting but try and pick her up and suddenly you're a potential axe murderer. Same goes for unexpected noises or sudden/funny shadows. She's loads better than she was but still. It's just how she is, I think. She's also the smart one too. Figured out the crickets before the other two and ate 4 of the first 6 before they caught on.

Give the flighty one more time and patience. My flighty ones are right now turning into cuddlebugs as they approach laying. Fern, a dom, is down right insistent about it too. She is also very smart and used to run screaming from me.
The cube is cute and looks fine for backyard use. It really doesn't look very predator proof though, but it looks like you have a nice fence. Can you completely close it at night?

The door has an internal metal rod that closes and opens the door (slides side to side). You pull the rod out to close it and then you just twist the knob on the rod and slide the rod back in so everything is flush again (and essentially locked). It's suppost to be very secture. I found one posting that reported a black bear trying to get into one and it couldn't get the coop open. Granted I believe the chickens still died from being tumbled around but the bear couldn't get in. With my area dog, hawk and fox proof are all I really need. I don't think we have too many preditors out here. I'm in classic suburbia. My dad spotted what he thought was a fox about six months ago but I haven't seen so much as a opossum and I've lived here for almost a year now. Even the squirrels are scarce.

Ok, I caved.
roll.png
The ladies were so much happier out in the run and coop that I let them stay. They've been busy getting bigger and my brooder seemed to be shrinking in comparison. I put a heat pad in the coop to make sure they stay warm enough at night (estimated low for the next week is 56F). We checked on them at least four times last night to make sure they were warm enough. They're having a chicky ball. They've figured out the steps and are in and out of the coop at will during the day. Every time I look out there they're bouncing around or scratching up the bark trying to get at the ants or perching on the staircase chillen. It's amazing how relaxing it is just to watch chickens being chickens.

Back
Top Bottom