***An idea for raising humidity!***Pic heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said a friend and her neighbor came up with the idea. I haven't done any hatches, yet, so I can't atest to my experience with it,because I don't have any. I would say, if you're having trouble getting the humidity up then give it a try and see how it works for you.

Twigg-no hard feelings and while I can see your point I have also seen many things in farming that defy logic and reasoning.

Thanks for sharing that Farmer Kitty and so true about things defiying logic in farm life. We are using an ice tray in ours and so far so good.

i dont beleive for a second that there was any defying logic and reasoning in that hatch with water in a empty egg shell, she just had her water trays filled right. the rest is history...

Also for any new folks hatching, i wanted to mention if you use any open body of water in where your chicks are hatching and they can get to it, try to cover it with a peice of 1/2" or 1/4" mesh wire as they can and will drown in it. examples(ice trays, small dish's water, etc) This is why in most cases sponges are used.

Charlie

Last edited:
Actually, they tried it because she was having trouble getting her humdity up.
idunno.gif

That is so true about them getting into the water. I had one of my bantam cochins hatch a day early while we were out of town and got into the shallow water and still drown.

Please cover it with something. I think the ice tray is smart, just cover it up and should be great.

Marie

Quote:
That is good advice, right there
smile.png

Nothing defies logic, our ability to understand doesn't defy logic, we just don't understand it.

Anything that really contrdicts logic just doesn't work, by definition
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks for your concern & So Sorry you went thru that
hugs.gif
We thought about what we were going to do long before we put the ice tray in cause we were going to be away for a long time today so you don't have to worry. We have the ice tray up high on a very stable box where they can't reach.

Last edited:
It would appear this is one of those agree to disagree situations on what works and what doesn't. Much like putting 6 serious breeders in the same room and asking them how they do one particular thing. 6 divergent answers is the likely result and no one gives ground. What ever works for a person, is just that.

I only say these things so first timers dont fall victim to it,. if they feel the advice is good then take it ,if not then just look for answers that you feel will really work.

I know it happend to me, ive even lost a few turkey poults for not putting marbles in the drinking waters when i should have when first starting out..
also marbles in there feeders and waters helps them to also learne to eat and drink, try it, it really works..Another trick for bantam chicks you can grind the chick starter down a bit and they can take it much easyer.

But i learned from others that help me get things right for the most part, plus trial and error also helps.

Charlie

Last edited:
Quote:
I tend to agree with you Charlie.

All sorts of people have ideas, some good, some less so. Even the less good ones can often be made to work when the collective wisdom of 8000 is applied.

There are problems for the unwary, in swallowing whole an, as yet, under-developed idea, and there are equally problems when people are so fixed to their idea that they won't accept constructive observations.

But yeah, airing the issues for all to read, then agreeing to disagree is usually the best way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom