An indoor stealth coop?

Quote:
no but she was crazy never cussed till 1 day my cousin shot a deer on her property thinking it was on our property came over trespassing on our property cussing me and my dad out while we helped my cousin look for the deer we were like in the middle of our property and here she came who the bleep just shot a deer on my property we saide we thought it was shot on our property and she saide bleep no it was laying in the middle of her field dead she was crazy animal person

I would be pretty ticked if someone trespassed and fired off a gun for any reason on my property.

Quote:
I'm interested in hearing more about your daily cleaning routine, and what you do to keep down the smell. I'm also interested in Seramas and their temperments, I know they are primarily bred as pets in Asia. How would you compare the smell and mess to other domestic animals?

but the thing was it had nothing to do with me and my dad and she was breaking law by trespassing on our property i liked her but that instance was just stupid srry got off topic my last post in this thread

Last edited:
I keep a crippled silkie hen in a wire dog crate in my diningroom by the sliding glass doors. I keep the pine shavings deep and change about every week. When she makes the stinky poop, I slip my hand into a plastic baggie and pick up the offending mess and carry it out to the compost (where the crate cleanings go)
She always tells me when she has laid an egg (my Monday/Wednesday/Friday girl) and if the cat looks at her, she growls at him.

I have the bottom tray from a ferret cage inside the crate and a piece of plexiglass along one side to reduce the amount of shavings she can spill. But since she is crippled, she can't throw as many shavings out of the crate as a healthy bird - though she tries. The opposite side and one end of the crate are covered with a sheet that I draped over the top of the crate so I could cover her at night. It makes her feel more secure and keeps the mess down. It also hides her from view from outside. The complaining neighbor can't see her.

I do sweep a couple of times a day and she goes out several times during the week. I haven't put a diaper on her yet, but I;m seriously thinking about it.

I have 6 new chicks with their mom at a neighbor's farm, but they have hawks all over, and she lets all the birds run loose during the day and loses many chicks to the hawks. She has a neighbor who feed the hawks to keep them close.
Her chickens roost in her garage at night. My birds sleep in a covered coop and run, but really enjoy free ranging her 4 acres of field and woods during the day, so I let the adults out to play.

I want to bring my babies home and keep them here, but I have to get super creative because I am a chicken outlaw in my neighborhood (and I'll probably get the $50/day/bird fine they threatened me with to get me to move my original flock if the neighbors complain - which is pretty much guaranteed.)

Just keep your coop and living area clean and you shouldn't have any problems. My dogs stink worse than my chickens.

Last edited:
Not sure if you have done the coop yet or have your chickens....I know your post is older.....but go to Farmtek...they have a plastic mesh like floor for chickens that would be good for indoors as well as out. I havent ordered it yet but I will be when I build my duck and silkie house this summer. Long story on the combined house.

Just food for thought... have you considered Coturnix Quail? The chickens can be done inside, considering getting a serama/bantam myself. But the quail were just so much more feasible for the small space I had to dedicate to them. I'm currently building their new cabinet which will have closing doors. So that we can host guests without judgemental glances! lol.. and for noise factor at night. We are in such a small space even the small peeps of a hen coturnix could be heard from the back bedroom which my husband likes his sound sleep! ;) So doors it will have on it!

Just food for thought!

Are you aware there is a thread called(something like) people with house chickens? A person I know has had many house chickens over
25 years. Generally silkies or seramas. She has 4 right now, a specials needs silkie roo & 2 serama hens and has never allowed them outside.

Her favorite a silkie hen is allowed to go out in her yard when she and the dog are out. We've had many arguments about that because the other birds should be allowed outside time too. She says the seramas will disappear/get lost they are so tiny. Horse hockey. I told her she could get a wire pen for them with a top and they could enjoy the outdoors for a bit. It comes down to 1) silkies are her favorite 2) she really doesn't want chickens tearing up her lawn. Her favorite isn't out long enough to do any damage and then runs back to the house.

I think seramas would work indoors because they are so small and could just as well be parrots or lovebirds or something rare.

Back
Top Bottom