An introduction

townchicks

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Dec 1, 2016
Contra Costa county, Ca.
Hi, I wanted to introduce myself. I am new to chickens,although I have been thinking about getting some for many years. In September I bought two 8 week old easter egger pullets, and I am in love. I named them Agatha Christie (Aggie) and Harper Lee. I live in the suburbs in the San Francisco bay area, and the chickens are strictly pets, but of course the eggs will be greatly appreciated, when they come! I am eagerly awaiting them, anxious to see what colors they will be. I am hoping for blue or green, but I'll be happy with whatever comes.Neither my husband nor I are very handy in the building department, so I ordered a kit coop with a small attached run area. I did manage to build a functional, though not very pretty extension for their run, from PVC and hardware cloth. I also move them around the yard in a dog x-pen with a cover on it, for some variety. The plan is to let them range in my fenced yard when I am home, but I don't trust my dogs with them yet. I've been lurking on this site for a while, and I've gotten so much good info from all of you. I figured it was time to join the family! Hopefully, I'll get some pictures posted, I'm not so great with computers either.

Welcome to BYC. This site becomes easier with use - it's really pretty straight forward and 'houses' a great poultry community.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on your new hens! Cute names too. :)

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of helpful articles that will help you with your new girls from feeding, treats, health and protecting them.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Many dogs see chickens as a meal and they can be difficult to train this out of them. So be very careful with the dogs. You might stop by a few of these threads on helping to train your dogs properly, just keep in mind, not all dogs learn.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=training+dogs+not+to+attack+chickens

We are so glad you could join our community! Feel free to ask any questions you may have and welcome to our roost! :)

Thanks for your recommendations. I have checked out the learning center, and will be going back, too. Don't worry about the dogs, I am taking all precautions to protect the girls. I do have a lot of training experience, and some close friends that are dog behaviorists, if I need help. I am not worried about my McNab, he is old, and barely gave the hens a glance. The mutt is the one I need to work on, and we are going nice and slow. I also have no illusions about having a "peaceable kingdom" here. If I am not 100% confident, he will not get to be with them. Dogs will be dogs. Plans in the works for a much larger run, if freedom in the yard is not an option.

Thanks for your recommendations. I have checked out the learning center, and will be going back, too. Don't worry about the dogs, I am taking all precautions to protect the girls. I do have a lot of training experience, and some close friends that are dog behaviorists, if I need help. I am not worried about my McNab, he is old, and barely gave the hens a glance. The mutt is the one I need to work on, and we are going nice and slow. I also have no illusions about having a "peaceable kingdom" here. If I am not 100% confident, he will not get to be with them. Dogs will be dogs. Plans in the works for a much larger run, if freedom in the yard is not an option.

Sounds like you have a good handle on the dog/chicken situation and that's great!

Back
Top Bottom