1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

An introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by townchicks, Dec 2, 2016.

1. townchicks

townchicks New Egg

Dec 1, 2016
    Hi, I wanted to introduce myself. I am new to chickens,although I have been thinking about getting some for many years. In September I bought two 8 week old easter egger pullets, and I am in love. I named them Agatha Christie (Aggie) and Harper Lee. I live in the suburbs in the San Francisco bay area, and the chickens are strictly pets, but of course the eggs will be greatly appreciated, when they come! I am eagerly awaiting them, anxious to see what colors they will be. I am hoping for blue or green, but I'll be happy with whatever comes.Neither my husband nor I are very handy in the building department, so I ordered a kit coop with a small attached run area. I did manage to build a functional, though not very pretty extension for their run, from PVC and hardware cloth. I also move them around the yard in a dog x-pen with a cover on it, for some variety. The plan is to let them range in my fenced yard when I am home, but I don't trust my dogs with them yet. I've been lurking on this site for a while, and I've gotten so much good info from all of you. I figured it was time to join the family! Hopefully, I'll get some pictures posted, I'm not so great with computers either.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. This site becomes easier with use - it's really pretty straight forward and 'houses' a great poultry community.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on your new hens! Cute names too. :)

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of helpful articles that will help you with your new girls from feeding, treats, health and protecting them.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Many dogs see chickens as a meal and they can be difficult to train this out of them. So be very careful with the dogs. You might stop by a few of these threads on helping to train your dogs properly, just keep in mind, not all dogs learn.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=training+dogs+not+to+attack+chickens

We are so glad you could join our community! Feel free to ask any questions you may have and welcome to our roost! :)

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  5. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome to our growing community of chicken lovers! [​IMG]

6. townchicks

townchicks New Egg

Dec 1, 2016
    Thanks for your recommendations. I have checked out the learning center, and will be going back, too. Don't worry about the dogs, I am taking all precautions to protect the girls. I do have a lot of training experience, and some close friends that are dog behaviorists, if I need help. I am not worried about my McNab, he is old, and barely gave the hens a glance. The mutt is the one I need to work on, and we are going nice and slow. I also have no illusions about having a "peaceable kingdom" here. If I am not 100% confident, he will not get to be with them. Dogs will be dogs. Plans in the works for a much larger run, if freedom in the yard is not an option.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Dabloos

Dabloos Just Hatched

Nov 16, 2016
    Northern KY
    I am also new to the forum as well as owning chickens. So much information here! I'm hooked ;)

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Sounds like you have a good handle on the dog/chicken situation and that's great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by