An old Farmer told me this about why I got so many roos this year.....

I don't know if we'll want to listen to the next generation of old timers, though...they will have gotten all their information from the internet!
tongue2.gif

well i for one believe every bit of it because every seven years my aunt tells me that she has an explosion in the wild cottontail rabbit population(sometimes you can drive up in the morning and see 37 rabbits sitting by the porch.) also now im only 14 but she said the year i was brn this happened too. also this year mcmurray hatchery only sell roos in the majority of their breeds.... their's only one way to find out.?

Quote:
Finally words of real wisdom, We always hear of such tall tales and most folks think that this hogwash is true. The old timers where I live also have these stories/Myths, I always take these tales with a grain of salt, I do listen but rarley does this hearsay ever pan out. Now that Iam nearing the old timer stage LOL I intend that my advice be based in truth and facts, not not just jibberish. Thanks Dave.

AL

Due to changes in weather/food/water/chemicals/available mates/etc I can believe that there is a cycle in certain populations where more young of one sex or another are born. It's not unheard of. Be aware, though, that the cycle on the West Coat may not be the same as the cycle in the Midwest or the cycle in the UK. These cycles are affected by the local environment, so what happens in one place may not happen elsewhere.

What's unlikely is that this exactly corresponds to a certain number of years, or that the rooster cycle lines up to the bunny cycle. For example, the prey/predator cycle has definitely been shown to exist, but it doesn't follow an exact numeric cycle. If I recall, the hare/lynx study that this one done on originally averaged 7 years -- note the word "averaged", because it's very important.

Some species can actually "choose" the sex of their offspring by temperature controls (the American alligator) and that there are studies that indicate certain changes in the uterus can affect the viability of fetuses of a given gender (latest study I read was on horses).

So there are tidbits of truth in almost all of these "old wives' tales", but the details that are left out tend to be kinda important
big_smile.png

Quote:
Finally words of real wisdom, We always hear of such tall tales and most folks think that this hogwash is true. The old timers where I live also have these stories/Myths, I always take these tales with a grain of salt, I do listen but rarley does this hearsay ever pan out. Now that Iam nearing the old timer stage LOL I intend that my advice be based in truth and facts, not not just jibberish. Thanks Dave.

AL

yeah, but now how do we know if we should blieve you??

lau.gif

old.gif

Back
Top Bottom