An ugly Motley Crew - but what are they? 15 pounders!!!

Quote:
Thanks, I'll look up that breed. The three red are almost identical but they are twice the size of my two Rhode Island Red roos who are older. The female did get so red that she blended in with the RIRs flock.

You were and are so good to have adopted them and given them a chance to feel well and explore. Sounds like their previous people were pretty clueless on how to properly care for them, as sadly so many who get 'chicklets' on a whim are. With so many people like that in the world, seems like one should have to pass a knowledge test before having a vulnerable little life in their hands!
JJ

Quote:
OMG!!! I have a baby that looks just like that one!! Would love to know what they are! Mine came with an OEG hen, there were 3 two red and one white and brown. I was thinking brown leghorn, but I've had them a few months and they aren't getting very big.

The roo in the first pic looks kinda like a partridge rock? Not sure though.

Well I just weighed these big beefies and they weigh 15 pounds, each.

Like I said, turkeys!!!!

bigbeefies.jpg

bigbeefy.jpg

I looked up New Hampshire Reds but I think they are much bigger and redder. The female probably was a New Hampshire red but blended in with my RIRs over time.

These guys though - still no idea - anyone????

I want someone to give a definitive answer on this puzzle! I'm intrigued by the size of them and wish you could ask the woman who gave them to you (or someone else who bought from that fundraiser) where the things came from!?!?

I want one or 3!

You said you have babies and you can always tell which are theirs- what do the pullets from these big boys look like?

Quote:
The woman that dumped them didn't know what breed they were or even that they were obviously males. But I'm betting since she bought them at a local school fundraiser someone around here raises them and donated them.

The pic of the 8 week old is probably one of theirs because it had the same huge legs as a baby and has the same coloring they had when they were young. However, it's mama was Ruth, my little grey EE who is now gone. I shudder at the thought of one of those 15 pounders on my little twisted neck Ruth.

Other than that one chick I haven't spotted any other offspring but I just started hatching my flock's eggs. These roos are lowest on totem pole and most of the hens just chase them off. The are only just beginning to assert their size and have their way.

Back
Top Bottom