An unknown ailment that's spooked me.

Bluepheonix13255

Chirping
Oct 4, 2021
Knoxville, Tennessee
I have a flock of 20 birds; they're around 18-20 weeks old.
Moving on to the actual problem.
One of my Easter eggers starting yesterday morning seemed lethargic. I dismissed it, but by evening it became enough to be somewhat alarming. I have a dowel rod posted just under knee high, and our main perches higher. She couldn't even jump up and perch onto that lower one- I had to help her up.
This morning it was worse. She's a shy chicken, and will get alittle uncomfortable if I even look at her while she's right next to me. Now she won't struggle at all being picked up and held.
She has some kinda lump under her breast, but lower than I think the crop is- I'm hesitant to say it's a problem with her air sac: it may even be alittle fat. She also has diarrhea that's watery and yellow- she doesn't seem to strain though.
There are times where she'll get up for food and water, or just stand idly, but is mostly laying down.
I don't really have access to antibiotics or even a chicken vet, so I wanna know what this may be and I need to know what if anything I can do to help her.
I have corid if it could be coccidiosis, but won't give it without another opinion, but that's pretty much it for medicating.

Something else I just noticed that's weird. If I pick her up to set her down elsewhere she balls her feet up. The odd thing is that it takes her a moment to realize she's been put down and in all her feet.

She has some kinda lump under her breast, but lower than I think the crop is
Have you tried feeling the crops of a few other chickens, for comparison? That's usually a good way to check what is normal. The crop certainly can feel like a lump, but I don't know how low you are expecting to find it.

(I don't know what is wrong, but I've had plenty of practice comparing chickens to see whether I'm worrying about something normal that I just never noticed before.)

Good advice on checking crops on others to make sure that you are feeling in the right spot. Crops should fill up during the day if eating and drinking, and empty by early morning. Can you post any pictures of her to see her chest and also of any abnormal poops? Hard to know if she could have a parasite problem, or an early reproductive issue. Be sure to check for any mites or lice on skin under her vent and elsewhere. Try giving some Poultry NutriDrench or similar vitamin electrolyte tonic for a boost.

Have you examined the bottoms of her feet for bumblefoot? Her legs for swelling? Are her feet & legs hot to the touch? I understand that you found a lump in her breast area and suspect an issue with an air sac (good thing chickens have many), but when you are NOT handling her, how does her breathing sound? You've indicated a concern with her crop. Before offering her food or water in the morning, how does her crop feel? It should feel flaccid. Palpate her crop again at bedtime, you should feel food in there. How does her breath smell? Any chance that you can post some pictures of her, a full body photo so we can get a sense of her posture (body language), a close up of her eyes, nares, and even the inside of her mouth if she'll allow that, her legs, the bottoms of her feet, her vent, and any other areas that concern you. A picture is worth a thousand words, and for a practiced eye, can offer clues as to what's ailing your girl.

Will keep you and your feathered family in my prayers.

Okay so I sat down and felt around a dozen of them and can say it is her crop. It seems to be full. It's not hard and proding it doesn't make her uncomfortable. It just seems rather bloated.
I hosed off the poop without thinking- sorry about that.
It was very watery and had a yellowish greenish sheen- like dehydrated human urine. That urea in her stool is not abnormal. A bit of white along with the rest.
About her bald spot: we've had some pecking order problems- namely in the hen house, as it took some time to get enough perches for them not to anger each other.
We got some saddles to protect bald spots, which only occured in the same spot. The bullying has eased off a lot recently.

Attachments

• 20211004_113208.jpg
    20211004_113208.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211004_113037.jpg
    20211004_113037.jpg
    726 KB · Views: 3
I found a possible wound on her leg- she flinched when I touched it with alittle pressure- just enough to get a reaction. Though her feet are actually alittle cool to the touch. Not alarmingly, but notably.
I actually need to clean her vent

Attachments

• 20211004_113947.jpg
    20211004_113947.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211004_113951.jpg
    20211004_113951.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211004_114330.jpg
    20211004_114330.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 3
It sounds like she has a slow cop for some reason. If you smell a sour or bad odor when you press on the crop, she could be starting to have a sour crop. Check the crop again in early morning to see if it is emptying. It would not hurt to treat for possible coccidiosis with Corid in her water, just in case. Here is some reading about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I don't think she ate any this morning. Even if she did her crop is completely full, while the vast majority of the other chickens' crops are empty or almost empty. I checked her breath while pushing on her crop and yeah that's unmistakable. I'm gonna give her coconut oil, and see if that is enough to get her feeling better. If sour crop is confirmed moving forward I'll continue as that thread instructed.
A thousand thanks!

So I wanted to post an update.
She definitely had sour crop. However once her crop was emptied there was about a day where she seemingly felt a bit better- but this morning was just the opposite. She died in my hands a couple hours ago.
She utterly refused to eat or drink this morning at all, and even yesterday I was only able to get around 6 tablespoons of yogurt to her. Had to pull her beak upen and dropper it in.
I don't know what caused this. I think it's logical that sour crop was a symptom of something more systemic.
It's worth noting that when they were maybe a month old there was one chick- an Easter egger- that became very ill. I'll say 10% further and she would have died, but she managed to come back from the brink. I don't know if these are the same chicken, as I hadn't learned to tell them apart. But assuming they are, might anyone know what killed her?
I was looking up vets in the area for the future because I just felt so helpless. Like if one of our chickens falls ill I won't be able to do anything. Now I just want to know if there is an answer that can be reasonably found.

Back
Top Bottom