An update and a question

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
So we finally got around to butchering another cockerel today, and the actual kill went very well.
Thanks @3KillerBs for the tip on standing firmly on the broomstick, I think that was were I was going wrong.
An added bonus was the head didn't come off.
So the question is the guts broke as we were getting them out, is that a problem?
We washed it off well so I doubt it matters?

Last edited:
So we finally got around to butchering another cockerel today, and the actual kill went very well.
Thanks @3KillerBs for the tip on standing firmly on the broomstick, I think that was were I was going wrong.
An added bonus was the head didn't come off.
So the question is the guts broke as we were getting them out, is that a problem?
We washed it off well so I doubt it matters?

Glad it worked for you.

IMO, getting the strength of the pull just right so that the neck is dislocated at the first pull but the head doesn't come off is the trickiest part.

Thorough washing with clean water should do the job in re: gut contents. Probably ends up cleaner than commercially-processed chickens. :D

And you're going to be cooking it thoroughly anyway.

Glad it worked for you.

IMO, getting the strength of the pull just right so that the neck is dislocated at the first pull but the head doesn't come off is the trickiest part.
I agree that that's the hardest part, it was the first one which I got just right.
And thanks for everyone for the opinion on the guts; also the crop broke, which had food in it as we hadn't planned to do it then, but I wouldn't have thought that's any worse?
So long as the gallbladder isn't broken, it should be fine.
So I'm sorry to say I'm not sure where it is or what it looks like, but I don't think any thing else broke.
For some reason we really struggled with this bird, every thing seemed really well stuck in there.

The crop is not any worse. Just rinse.

The gall bladder is that sort of blue thing on the liver. It stores bile which helps in digestion. The bile is bitter and can stain things blue. It's unlikely you will break the gall bladder unless you are trying to get it out of the liver. If you eat the liver, which I do, you need to remove it. If I do happen to break it, I just rinse well. I've never noticed any change in taste of the liver from that.

The crop is not any worse. Just rinse.

The gall bladder is that sort of blue thing on the liver. It stores bile which helps in digestion. The bile is bitter and can stain things blue. It's unlikely you will break the gall bladder unless you are trying to get it out of the liver. If you eat the liver, which I do, you need to remove it. If I do happen to break it, I just rinse well. I've never noticed any change in taste of the liver from that.
Thanks, we certainly did rinse it off.
We don't eat the liver, so I've never really looked at it very closely.
I'll have to try and study it a bit more next time!

Back
Top Bottom