An update on the flock....

debster1556

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2014
We've had our chickens for over a week now and they're doing great! There is definitely a hierarchy among the hens. Rose is the head "honcho" and keeps the other girls in check. The rooster seems to let her do her thing. He is the protector. I wonder how long before we might see eggs in the nest boxes?? They are about 9 months old and they haven't laid yet. We feed them clippings from salads, chicken bones, fruit pieces, cabbage, asparagus and they tried oatmeal for the first time today! They seemed to really like that!!!! We also give them"scratch". Of course they have their regular food. They have visibly relaxed more and more every day since we have gotten them and they will eat out of my hands, even the rooster. That one hen in charge tho won't take anything from me. I'll have to work with her.
Hopefully we are doing things properly!!! :)

we're they laying before you got them? Moving is quite a change for them - that can delay eggs for while. What breed are they?

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope you start getting those eggs soon. Like drumstick diva said, moving them can really slow them down or stop them. It sounds like they are settling in really well and you are spoiling them nicely :) at nine months old and it being spring, hopefully they will start up again pretty fast for you.

One of the hens has a significantly larger comb than the other hens, to the point where we thought she might be a he. It's a hen tho. Forgot to mention that we have a 60 watt bulb in the coop set on a timer for a couple hours each night giving them a total of 14 hours a day off light.
We have 4 nest boxes that so far they haven't shown any interest in, however, on the floor of the coop this morning, the straw was shaped like a nest. Not sure what's up with that.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC. Chickens HATE change. As others have said, with the increasing day length and their maturity egg production will soon start - be patient.
big_smile.png

images

These things take time. I agree with the above posters, give the birds time to adjust and mature. Pretty soon you will be up to your ears in eggs!!

Enjoy BYC!

Went out to coop this evening and there was a nest like indent on the floor of the coop. Same spot as before. Their nest boxes are just a couple of feet away but so far no-one is showing interest in them. A friend of mine told me if I put a couple of golf balls in their boxes, that might encourage them. I'm in no hurry for eggs, it would just be nice if they would check out their cool boxes!! :)
Finally decided on Scooby Roo for a name for our rooster.

Back
Top Bottom