Anatomy of a dog attack - Ryan O'Meara

Quote:
yes, that is why many trainers will warn to NOT correct a dog for growling. All that does is remove the dog's method of warning that he is uncomfortable with the situation.

And I agree with those trainers... I want a warning growl (dog attack survivor).

then you get someone that's owned two or three dogs as a kid that decided they can train dogs... "cuz they would do tricks sometimes but were smart about when they wanted to do them" - these persons irratate me.

less then about 85% (compliance first time the command is given, instantly) inside and outside, with or without distractions- is not a fully trained dog... sorry.

I think also the dog's behavior would have been affected by the owner's emotions. The owner in your story was really happy and excited. The dog would have realized, to some extent, that this is a good thing that the master wants. If the owner had been terrified, then the dog would have been expected to react differently. They can really read our emotions.

I tthink it would be a bit much to expect a dog to know the difference between happy excited and excited not-happy. Unless the dog is well-socialized. Dogs aren't any more instant experts at human body language than humans are at dog language.

If I had a nickel for every person with an out-of-control dog showing aggressive posturing who assured "he's friendly" I would be rich. Or at least not worried about the vet bills from the ensuing dog fight.

In the story, the dog just sees master shouting at the man. Master isn't right beside the dog when the man enters the yard. Man is wearing sunglasses which make it look like he is staring down the dog. (Not to mention unwitting people will often stare into the eyes of a strange dog anyway). When the dog makes a more aggressive reaction, he thinks the master's anxiety is directed toward the intruder so escalates further.
The purpose of the article is just to show some of the innocent behaviors which can be considered hostile in canine body language

I'm curious about the sunglasses thing, not sure if there is any evidence that a dog (anyperson's dog, average town, average nation) is threatened by sunglasses.

I do know what mistakes I made to get attacked, and the dog later was PTS anyway...

I was wearing a large raincoat, it was night, it was thundering, it was raining, I didn't announce myself in a way the dog understood, at night with little scent I was an intruder...

(of course they didn't tell me he was kennel aggressive, night guardian, and formerly physically abused- which would have been a clue)

Not sure about the sunglasses thing though... Guide dogs don't get special sunglasses training, well they do, its called - DO NOT take me the way I'm looking, take me the safe way that I TELL YOU.

It has nothing to do with aggressive/defensive/territorial behavior... it has to do with the puppy wanting to people please and heading whichever why the handler is looking...

(counter-training a dog to ignore other's commands is ..."FUN" ...
"What happens if I call your guide dog in training over?" "I wish you wouldn't."
"here puppy puppy puppy"
*Jack tries to go over and gets a leash correction and a firm NO, when he stops he gets praised*
"Hey why did you do that?"
"Well this is a guide dog and I'm not going that direction, he had no command from me to go"
"But he didn't like that."
"Nope, that's why its called a correction, its a momentary form of punishment."
"why did you do that?"
"You did it..."
*hurt look from idiot person*

Back
Top Bottom