Ancestry.com

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Okla-doodle-doo, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    Has anyone ever used this? Is it worth the cost? Are there hidden or "you have to pay for more info" , charges? Any advise would be appreciated.

2. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    I've always wondered the same thing. I've been reluctant to try it because I didn't want to get roped into something I didn't like or something I found difficult to use or found useless. I hope someone here can enlighten us. Good idea for a post!

Joni

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    My husband has done it many times tracking his ancestors! He has gone all the way back to 1500's!!!! On both sides of his family-both in France! Very exciting-There's a trial period-thats what he did and did it HARD for the whole month and found almost everything he was looking for...

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    check with your local library! Ours has a subscription to ancestry.com that you can use for free.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I just tried to use it... i suck at everything.. [​IMG]

It let me view one free census paper with my grandmas name...(to see if its her) and i couldnt even read the thing! Couldnt scroll down to read it all.. [​IMG]
    I'm annoyed right now...
    I want to get this done asap, because my father is ill with cancer and i really have no info on my family on his side...

But i think it said its like $200 bucks to join?? [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [email protected] acres farm :

I've always wondered the same thing. I've been reluctant to try it because I didn't want to get roped into something I didn't like or something I found difficult to use or found useless. I hope someone here can enlighten us. Good idea for a post!

Joni

Thats my thing..it looks very difficult to use! [​IMG] Confusing as heck..​

7. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Red hen, I'm so sorry to hear your Father has Cancer - it's a heartbreaking disease. I wish you the best in your info search. I wish I could help you in some way.

Joni

8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    very sorry to hear about your father.

Another idea, check your local area to see if there is a genealogy society. Our local one has regular workshops on how to start your family tree. They also have an "office" where you can go. They are always willing to help and give good advice. They won't do the work for you, but they will guide you through using the different programs like ancestry.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:first I'm so sorry about your dad:( [​IMG]
    second DH said it only cost him 29.99 a month and you can cancel at anytime? I know it took him a few good LONG days to figure it all out but once he did he was an animal on it and found so much good stuff! I wish you luck ( PS if it were 200$ Id kill him if he did it [​IMG] )

10. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    I have used Ancestry.com for years. I like it, though it can be frustrating sometimes. I, also, subscribe to a few other sites and newspaper archives.
    There are free websites you can try, such as: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ https://familysearch.org/ http://usgenweb.org/

Sorry about your Dad. I didn't get interested in genealogy until after mine passed.

Good luck. If I can help in any way, please, don't hesitate to PM me.
    Dale-Ann

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by