Ancient Roo withh arthritis?

chicksinthemachine

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Henley,MO
We adopted JB a couple of months ago with some hens that were all in bad shape,the hens recovered nicely and are nice and round and of course beautiful, but he cannot bend one of his legs. I don't know if it is from a previous injury or poor diet or arthritis but I do know that now that it is getting colder he lays down a lot more but I don't know if he is pain or not, I just want to help him out if possible. Any suggestions? Forgot to add he eats well and preens so I know he isn't sick plus they are being treated for cocci right now and yesterday we noticed it was a little swollen.

Last edited:
How do his legs look? You might give his legs and the bottom of his feet a good once-over, checking for cuts, bruises, discoloration, swelling, raised scales, or any other indications something is not quite right. Could be scaly leg mites, but this should be obvious upon a visual inspection. Can you post a pic?

If not that, it could be arthritis . . . but it could also be a staph infection. The same type of infection that causes bumblefoot can also spread to the bones and connective tissue ~ virtually any part of the body, really. I have read that if it spreads to the legs the infection can cause arthritic symptoms.

Unfortunately I don't have any treatment suggestions yet, but perhaps having a couple of possible directions to look helps a bit.

Last edited:
We seven dusted them all when we first got them because they did have mites and we have done it again recently on some new hens we got and oiled his legs and yes there is swelling so I will go out to look at his foot to see if there are any boo-boo's but he has had this since we got him about 3 months ago. The other leg is just fine though.

Back
Top Bottom