HouseMouseHens

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 31, 2012
Portland, Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
Hi there,
I picked up four Ancona ducklings this afternoon to add to my Khaki Campbell and Welsh Harlequin. I ordered Two chocolate and two tri-color, but I don't think that is what I got. I am pretty sure I have a chocolate and a black, but I have two that are much lighter. What do you think? Maybe blue or Lavender? I am thinking they are too dark for lavender... But I have never had them before so I don't know.
And also, can I just say that OMG ducks grow fast! The littles are one day old, and the other two are only 17 days old, and look at the size difference! We ended up moving the new ones into a big tub instead of in with the bigger two like planned. Everything I was told said that they would be fine within a month age of each other, but the bigger two were trampling the poor babies! Going to try and put them all together in a week or so...

Last edited:
Here is another picture, you might be able to see them all better. I think we have a black and a chocolate for sure, but I'm thinking maybe the other dark-ish one may be a lighter chocolate, and no idea what the little light one is...

It looks like you are right about the black (the last picture you posted, the one in the left hand corner) and a chocolate (the one with the most spotting on the head).
The lighter one looks like a blue. The lavenders and lilacs I got were all MUCH lighter or had almost no color as babies.
The last one I am not sure about. Could be a penciled. In the last picture, it looks like you have two chocolate, but in the first picture it looks like one chocolate and one that's almost between chocolate and black. But I know how hard it can be to capture actual color when it comes to taking pictures!

I have only raised anconas for a few years now so I am still trying to figure out all the colors and what they look like as babies. I am most familiar with black, chocolate, blue and lilac as those are what I have hatched the most of. But maybe aurorasprings can help you.

And what I found is that the tri-colors start out as one color, and then get their other colors as they get their adult feathers. So it is possible that you do have 2 tri colors there. But I have never gotten a black that had other colors in it.

I have NO idea, but I just had to say...... THESE ARE ADORABLE!! All ducklings are adorable, but Ancona babies! TO CUTE
love.gif
I am SO glad I decided to add 4 to my order of WH's, and cannot wait till they arrive.... next week
celebrate.gif

Love your pics!

It looks like you are right about the black (the last picture you posted, the one in the left hand corner) and a chocolate (the one with the most spotting on the head).
The lighter one looks like a blue. The lavenders and lilacs I got were all MUCH lighter or had almost no color as babies.
The last one I am not sure about. Could be a penciled. In the last picture, it looks like you have two chocolate, but in the first picture it looks like one chocolate and one that's almost between chocolate and black. But I know how hard it can be to capture actual color when it comes to taking pictures!

I have only raised anconas for a few years now so I am still trying to figure out all the colors and what they look like as babies. I am most familiar with black, chocolate, blue and lilac as those are what I have hatched the most of. But maybe aurorasprings can help you.

And what I found is that the tri-colors start out as one color, and then get their other colors as they get their adult feathers. So it is possible that you do have 2 tri colors there. But I have never gotten a black that had other colors in it.

The black and chocolate you pointed out are the ones I had thought were black and chocolate, so that's good. I was thinking as well that the little light one might be a a blue. The breeder said something about "buff" when I picked them up, though I'm not totally sure what he was talking about. Maybe the one that almost looks chocolate is a buff.. I guess only time will tell. I'm already sad that some of them may end up boys, since we're most likely not keeping any boys. I love them all!!

Here is another picture, you might be able to see them all better. I think we have a black and a chocolate for sure, but I'm thinking maybe the other dark-ish one may be a lighter chocolate, and no idea what the little light one is...

I think you have two chocolates, a blue, and a black. But, it's really hard to see color in pictures. In the first picture you posted, the one in the top right corner does remind me of my pencilled duck. I've noticed that some of them surprise me as they grow and molt, too. I don't think you have any lavender, lilac, or silver.

Have you looked at Worth It Farms' color info? She has a nice page with pictures.

http://worthitfarms.jigsy.com/ancona-colors

I think you have two chocolates, a blue, and a black. But, it's really hard to see color in pictures. In the first picture you posted, the one in the top right corner does remind me of my pencilled duck. I've noticed that some of them surprise me as they grow and molt, too. I don't think you have any lavender, lilac, or silver.

Have you looked at Worth It Farms' color info? She has a nice page with pictures.

http://worthitfarms.jigsy.com/ancona-colors

I've checked out that link before, so helpful in deciding what colors I wanted, but she doesnt have pictures of babies except for the black one. The duckling in the very right of this picture is the one that reminds you of a penciled duck? I am wondering, because while s/he is brown-ish, she has a lot of yellow fuzz that comes through over the brown, like mixed in. The other brown one is solid brown on the brown parts. It's strange.

Here are some updated pictures of the four-pack of Anconas. I am wondering if anyone has any more idea about the coloring of the two that are not chocolate or black. The lightest one is still a light gray color, and the darker one is a brown a bit like the chocolate but lighter with some lighter color mixed in. Three of the four(all but the black) turned out to be boys so we're going to have to find new homes for one or two of them. I am keeping the chocolate boy who I have named Fig, but I am wondering about the coloring of the other two, as we may keep one depending on what color they turn.

Thoughts?

This is the darker of the two:

Here is the lighter one(the light gray one in the front right of the first picture and the front center of the second):

Here are some updated pictures of the four-pack of Anconas. I am wondering if anyone has any more idea about the coloring of the two that are not chocolate or black. The lightest one is still a light gray color, and the darker one is a brown a bit like the chocolate but lighter with some lighter color mixed in. Three of the four(all but the black) turned out to be boys so we're going to have to find new homes for one or two of them. I am keeping the chocolate boy who I have named Fig, but I am wondering about the coloring of the other two, as we may keep one depending on what color they turn.

Thoughts?

This is the darker of the two:

Here is the lighter one(the light gray one in the front right of the first picture and the front center of the second):

I know nothing about Aconas but wanted to say how pretty they are.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom