Ancona Ducks

Pics
My Anconas.......... Lots of heavy culling went into creating my flock. Love the patterns on them. There is one black hen in the pics that has a lot of color on her. She was culled from the flock once they were old enough to start breeding.

24661_ancona_pics.jpg

24661_anconas_copy.jpg

That would've been my guess. That highly marked duck really screams Cackle. Looks almost identical to one we have from there

DSC06057.jpg

She's one of only 3 blacks we have and she's an excellent mother.

My batch of Cackle anconas look remarkably similar, including a mostly-black with a green bill that I can't bring myself to cull because she's the most innovative and inventive forager, and appears to be the brains of the outfit.

Yeah, I think I culled about 4 that were dark like that. It can happen in any line, You have to cull against too much color and too little color. I like to see broken up pattern over the backs and spots on the bill and legs. By cull I mean I sent them to pet homes to be pond ducks, I can't kill them. I just won't be using them in my breeding program because I consider them as faults..... since the color is to be broken up and not a solid color.

I carefully select my breeders and only keep good pattern, spotted beaks and spotted legs etc...... I have a few chocolates, but would like to get some blue, silver, and lavender in my flock also.

The silvers that I've seen seem to have lots of white and very little color. Is this something that happens with the silver color or just that the pattern needs work? Does anyone have a pic of a silver with good color showing?

Back
Top Bottom