Ancona Ducks

Pics

StevenW.

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 7, 2010
Central, Illinois
Wants to see everyones ancona ducks and where you got them.
tongue.png

69362_ducks_and_chickens_001.jpg

heres mine the one on the very right im thinking of keeping (cause he has chocolate coloring) and get some more ducklings,or hatching eggs, or female ducks next year

My Anconas.......... Lots of heavy culling went into creating my flock. Love the patterns on them. There is one black hen in the pics that has a lot of color on her. She was culled from the flock once they were old enough to start breeding.

24661_ancona_pics.jpg

24661_anconas_copy.jpg

Ok, my big concern is whether my drake is true enough to type. I have resisted getting opinions on BYC because some folks can be kind of harsh, but since we are on the subject of improving lines, how is he? He seems to be very solidly built to me, but something about his neck seems a bit off of type. Am I being too persnickety?
Personality wise, and color wise, he was the best drake I got (wasn't planning on keeping drakes, but he was a charmer, to boot).

94687_img_2943.jpg
Him, with something on his mind.
94687_img_2943.jpg
Him with his ladies after our first snow.
94687_img_1845.jpg
Him, trying to sneak a patty pan squash.

94687_img_1996.jpg
With the girls again.

I know he isn't that marked, but bearing that in mind Kim gave me some more heavily marked girls. I hope they breed some well balanced Anconas.
I hope he mates with the black duck, Kim that chocolate girl is quite the enthusiastic mate. She shadows him & does her little head flip at me every time I got into the yard. I keep trying to tell her I am not after her man, but she doesn't listen. I want to add a silver, blue, or lilac duck to my breeding pen next year, just so I can have as many colors as possible. (Kim, if you hatch any, I would LOVE more of your girls. They are just so sweet & funny...I think I am going to wait until next year to order from Boondockers, but I keep going back & forth about whether I should do it this year or next.)

I love that this thread is getting active again. I may pester all you folks with breeding questions as the time approaches.

Completely normal. Nice lookin annie too. :)
okay good :). And are the femals normally bigger or smaller than the males because I still cant figure out which is male and which is female. Or if they are the same gender. I also have a pekin that has a pretty loud quack so im think it might be a female. But they are to young for their drake feathers so ive tried to tell by the voice but still not sure. The pekin is the only one with its quack. They anconas still cherp mostly so ive tried to tell by size or the way they act but its not working well lol.
these are my anconas and Pekin.

Eventually the male will be bigger. If you can't vent sex you will have to wait until they are 4-6 weeks old to tell by quack.
I have found if I listen close, the quacks are pretty different even at hatch on Anconas most of the time. The girls aare always higher pitched & boys sound a bit raspy right from the start. I have confirmed this by vent sexing as well.

We just got this one...we think it's an Ancona. Really sweet!!

So sweet!!

Yep, that's an Annie :)

Back
Top Bottom