Ancona or Cayuga????

Kmoreau

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
My husband has finally agreed to let me get 2 more ducklings. I am so excited... I feel an addiction coming on
smile.png

I have 2 pekins right now, and male and I think a baby female. I really wanted cayugas but am now also interested in anconas. My concern with the cayugas is a) they are so hard to find, and b) I really wanted males since they are prettiest. My concern with getting males is that they will all surround my one female. Is the Ancona females and males equally looking like the pekins or are there differences between the sexes. Or do you think 3 males would be an issue to my one female ?

Also what are the different personality traits between those breeds

You absolutely do not want one female with several males. The ideal ratio is five to eight females per ONE male, but as few as two or three per male is acceptable if you only have one male. However, in a situation with multiple males and one female they will torture and probably kill her, not to mention fighting heavily amongst themselves.

If you just really like drakes and don't care about eggs, you can keep ONLY males as long as there are no females at all present. Without something to fight over, they are much less likely to fight. Females are easy to find homes for, because they are usually preferred.

As for anconas versus cayugas, I think they are probably very similar birds. Both relatively calm, largish, and beautiful. Good layers, mediocre mothers. Obviously, they are colored very differently, so I would go for the colors that appeal to you the most.

Good luck!

That is exactly what I was worried about, having too many males.
As for the behavior difference, what would tend to fit better with my pekins. They are large birds but very sweet. They are loving and well socialized. What you say the anconas are high strung what do you mean by that?

I have no problem going through a hatchery, if shipping and min. Didn't cost so much. Since I only want two, the cost is the same as buying 10 with most places. Do you have any suggestions?

For the most part, ducks are ducks. They should get along fine, although those that were raised together will tend to always be closer knit than "newcomers." I like McMurray just fine, but of course you can't go wrong with Holderread. But then, Holderread does not sell sexed ducklings, so if you want sexed ducklings, Metzer, McMurray, Ideal, and similar hatcheries are your best bet unless you can find a local supplier.

Good luck!

Any reason you would want male cayugas? Females have the same coloring, are just a bit smaller. My cayuga duck lays an egg a day. (Better than my chickens!)

Oh I was told females lose their coloring after a year and start getting patchy white feathers... Is that not true?

Male and Female Cayugas will get more and more white feathers as they age (Molt.)

Tiffany - To answer your question, males have better coloring than the females. Just like Peafowl, Peacocks have the big flashy tail and peahens have a short brown tail.
I hope that answers your questions.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks that is what I thought... My male Pekin is turning more yellow as he ages while my female is Turing more white. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom