Ancona or Muscovy Ducks?

Diane333

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Southwestern PA
Hi, I'm new to BackYardChickens and am looking for information:

In July of 2008 I was given a duckling for our pond that I was told was a Muscovy. Two weeks later I purchased a buddy for her at auction that said "Muscovy" on the box. They both looked like the pics I saw online of Muscovy ducklings, so never had reason to doubt that they were.

I have never had ducks and knew nothing about them at the time. I did lots of research online.

Now, they are grown. The smaller one which I suspect is a female, is about 5 pounds. The larger one is about 8 pounds and we think is a male. They both have claws on their toes. Neither one has caruncles. They both have curled tail feathers. They are both black and white, but more like patches than spots. The larger one has black markings on his legs and down his middle toes.

So, are they Ancona ducks or Muscovys? Do Muscovys always have caruncles?

It would be nice to call them by their proper names. Any help would be appreciated!~Diane

They both have curled tail feathers.

Then they are both boys.

Can you post photos??

Since neither one has caruncles, they could be a mix.​

I don't think Muscovy tail feathers curl at all. I can't remember seeing any curled feathers on the long tails my guys have.

I agree with the others. Pictures, please?
smile.png

Quote:
You click on uploads and then click on browse and then go thru your folders until you find the pic you are looking for. After that click upload or submit, whichever it is. Wait until you picture appears and then copy and paste the link to your thread.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom