And I repeat....I'm not a builder! It is finished!

I think it looks great! Congrats!
thumbsup.gif

I almost got the run gate on it today. I have a horrible time with hinges and doors though, so I was fighting with the little coop door most of the time. I just don't understand the mental block I have on doors and hinges!

DH has really made progress with his, too. I meant to get more photos of his as he goes but it is really ho-hum building so I will get photos tomorrow and probably post what he has done on his tractor.
I like mine so much better than his idea but I wouldn't dare discourage him from building! More coops means more chickens!
ep.gif

BeckyLa.....that gap is only 1 1/2 inches. If anything can get through that to the chickens, I'm afraid they would eat it for breakfast!
gig.gif
And that gap is on the inside of the run area that will have wire over and around it. My biggest predators are raccoons and possums. They couldn't fit through that even if they did manage to get inside the run.

Thanks for all the comments. I have found I like building. Everyone should try it!
ya.gif

And as you will notice some of the boards are different colors. That is DH's scrap wood from his tractor! I haven't had any.......so far.

I love the colors!
big_smile.png
Honestly, I really do!
smile.png

And while there may be a few things you decide you want to tweak a little once you get it in use (like, I think you will find that unless you put another roof on, with overhang, water runs down inside your access door, and rain blows in thru the high vent...), I think it is an excellent job of using common sense and personal initiative to put together a sound serviceable good coop from materials at hand. And with none of this 'but I can't do it' or 'I need detailed plans' stuff, either! I am duly impressed
smile.png

<applause>,

Pat

I did work on it some more today and yesterday.
I wanted to use hardware cloth but didn't get to the feed store in time to pick some up so I went with the 2x2 like I used on my big red contraption. The chickens are never out in it after dark so I am not really worried about night time predators and I doubt anything would get through it during the day.

9332_brace_for_eye_bolts.jpg

I put this blue board on the front and plan to put some big eye bolts through it on each side there at the bottom and link a chain so I can drag it with my truck. I figured one 2x4 wasn't enough to withstand the bumping along.

9332_had_to_use_machine_screws.jpg

I put the door on ....finally! Had to use machine screws because I am so bad with doors! I just have a piece of plywood right there before the inside frame of 2x4's and the hinge didn't reach it inside so I put those machine screws on instead. And I got my little latch on there but am going to use a pipe with a chain to open and close it from outside the run every day. I am thinking I want a more secure lock there but haven't found anything I can really lock tight without going inside.

9332_before_wire.jpg

And I built this side door for the run. It turned out much better than any of my others so far but I have yet to hang it on the hinges. Maybe I am getting better at the doors. Goodness knows I have plenty of practice now that I have had to take them on and off so many times to adjust something.
lau.gif

I should be able to finish the wire tomorrow and put the roof on it. I think then it will be more explanatory about what I am doing. I am horrible at saying it, better at showing it so then you will see the roof I am putting on. And I doubt rain will blow up through the vent. It angles down and can be closed off on the inside also. I hope not to ever close it off though. Matter of fact, I wish I had put one on each side or at least 2 other sides. May tweak that part.

Stayed tuned for more on the crazy saga of Nadine trying to build yet another tractor. Remember the first one was red!
th.gif

You may think that you are not a builder, but I think otherwise. Great job! You can be on my coop building team any time you want.

Robert the Roo
Union Grove NC

IN GOD WE TRUST:)

I thank you all for all the wonderful and encouraging words. I know there is not a square corner on it but it will withstand most predators. I know a bear could do it in and maybe a very determined coyote but I hope never to have to find out.
I finished it up this afternoon. Well, it still needs a few wires twisted and a few more staples, I think. But here is where we are.......

9332_door_is_attached.jpg

I attached the door and put the wire on it..........

9332_wire_on_top.jpg

and the wire is all across the top so it is secure from most predators.
fl.gif

9332_with_top_attached.jpg

I put the top corrugated stuff on to keep most of the rain and sun off. And then I added the birds......

9332_new_home.jpg

Then the a few others came to check it out. You know you always have some nosy neighbors!

9332_nosy_neighbors.jpg

I put this one in the back yard. I think it is small enough I can move it around and they have plenty of grass through the winter since there are only 2 birds in it right now. I may add another hen in the spring for hatching eggs but still our back yard is almost a half acre.

9332_we_gotta_eat_all_that.jpg

And then #2 (yes, that's his name!) told me thank you! He is a very good boy.

9332_for_me.jpg

Now for the next project.............
ep.gif

Nadine, now that it is finished I just LOVE your tractor. It is very efficiently designed and looks like it should hold up for a long, long time. Have you thought about writing out a set of plans to sell? Seriously, that is a *nice* tractor
smile.png

Pat

Thanks but I am so horrible at writing out plans.
I wanted to do a BYC page with this on it but I can't figure out to use the set up page. I'll get around to figuring it out as soon as I have time.
I have had fun building this one and the "big red contraption" I put on here about a month or so ago. The thread was labeled, naturally, "I'm not a builder!"
They were simple ideas but they work for us. And the birds seem to love them as well.
As soon as DH finishes his, hopefully this weekend, I will put up his very large tractor on a thread here. He thinks it's the cat's meow but I prefer my ideas.
Thanks again, you guys have made me feel good after beating my fingers to a pulp!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom