....and I thought chicken math was bad....I am out of control with hatching eggs

MissMonty

Songster
5 Years
Sep 12, 2015
Dayton, OH
So....now that I had one chick hatch I must think I'm like the hatching guru because I now have 27 more Ayam Cemani eggs on their way......

Which leads me to my problem. In this buying spree (bought from multiple sellers) I wasn't actually counting how many eggs I was buying in total until the end. So my incubator holds 22 eggs (nurture right 360) and I will have 27 eggs if none of them send extras......

Ayam Cemanis have a pretty low hatch rate compared to other breeds so its safe to say I'll lose some regardless along the way so by the end I bet I'll have the right amount of eggs in there. It would just be stacked for a week or so while I see which ones start progressing and which don't.

So should I stack them or buy a second incubator? My husband doesn't yet realize just how many eggs are coming so a new incubator may be a bit of a surprise LOL

1611537711696.png

So....now that I had one chick hatch I must think I'm like the hatching guru because I now have 27 more Ayam Cemani eggs on their way......

Which leads me to my problem. In this buying spree (bought from multiple sellers) I wasn't actually counting how many eggs I was buying in total until the end. So my incubator holds 22 eggs (nurture right 360) and I will have 27 eggs if none of them send extras......

Ayam Cemanis have a pretty low hatch rate compared to other breeds so its safe to say I'll lose some regardless along the way so by the end I bet I'll have the right amount of eggs in there. It would just be stacked for a week or so while I see which ones start progressing and which don't.

So should I stack them or buy a second incubator? My husband doesn't yet realize just how many eggs are coming so a new incubator may be a bit of a surprise LOL
Lol! Now you understand the term "Hatchaholic" 😂
Honestly though, it is good to buy extras! Store them in a cool room in an egg carton, and tip them once each day. (Out a book under one short end of the carton. The next day, put it under the other end, etc. etc.
They'll keep this way as long as the temp is between 50 Fahrenheit and 65 Fahrenheit for several weeks.
Then if any are infertile or quit, stick in some extras. It's a great method and I use it often.

So many reasons for a second incubator:
  1. Accidentally buying too many eggs, or getting extras from a very generous seller
  2. A backup in case one malfunctions mid-hatch
  3. Use one for incubation and one for hatching. Now you can do staggered hatches!
  4. Easier to separate breeds or species during incubation

Back
Top Bottom