And I thought roosters only crowed in the morning....

We have neighbors about 6 houses away that have a rooster. When he starts crowing in the AM, our hens decide that they need to answer and do their very best to 'out crow' him. Who knew? I'm sure that our neighbors just love the beautiful sounds. No calls to the police yet....here in Atlanta, hens are legal but roosters are not. I guess when he stops crowing it will be because he is in jail or in the freezer.
yippiechickie.gif

As you are finding, it is a fallacy that they only crow at dawn. Roosters crow to announce their territory and let other roosters know that they are in charge. Since they sleep when it is dark, as soon as it is light enough for them to see they are up and making this announcement. Then, depending on how threatened or secure a rooster is, he will crow at any time he thinks it is important--sometime they hear other roosters crow that are not audible to the human ear as well and have to answer. If you have more than one rooster and if they are all fairly secure in the arrangement, you will get serial crowing all day long. Fortunately I like the sound but am not too sure my neighbors do.

Back
Top Bottom