And suddenly I find myself the new owner of a 5 month old guinea pig

AinaWGSD

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Sullivan, IL
I like guinea pigs a lot actually, they are an ideal pet for children because they are easy to take care of and are generally very docile. They are up there towards the top of my list for pets to look for when my son is finally old enough for his own pet.

I work for a vet, and yesterday we had someone bring in a young guinea pig that was "favoring" his left hind leg. X-rays show a pretty gnarly compound fracture and we sent them home with pain medication and a couple of options with what to do for the leg. The ideal option being surgery to put a pin in the leg. They called back last night asking about payment options (and calling our receptionist names when she told them what their payment options were and they weren't quite what they wanted to hear) and then called back this morning and told us they were bringing him in and dropping him off to be put down because they couldn't afford the surgery (although we had given them other less expensive options including bandaging and simply managing his pain until some sort of healing occurred on it's own). We all agreed that one of us would take him and pay for repairing his leg rather than let him be euthanized. And thus, I am now apparently volunteered for the position of new owner. We're going to pin the leg this afternoon. Now I just need to talk DH into it
hide.gif
I also need to come up with a new name for the little guy. His name is currently Peter, and aside from not looking much like a Peter to me, that was the name of my mom's rabbit so it would seem weird.

Sad update. We decided to wait until this morning to do the pinning (Dr. Sandra doesn't like to do big non-emergency surgeries in the afternoon, bad karma). I got a call about 10:00 to let me know he didn't make it. He did well with the surgery, and they were almost ready to wake him up and he crashed. That was part of the reason I hadn't brought him home yet, I didn't want my 2 year old to get attached in case he didn't do well with the anesthesia. Needless to say, I'm bummed. But at least we did the best we could for him.

so sorry that the little guy has died --- you did the best you could do for him -- he was one of the lucky ones not to have to suffer from injuries -- Guinea Pigs often lead lives of mistreatment --

Lots of these pocket pets don't have much in the way of well researched protocols. Even if you had gone the non-surgical route, he might have had a reaction, or gut slow down, from the pain meds. So sad....

Back
Top Bottom