And the process begins...

Chickenkate17

Songster
9 Years
Aug 1, 2010
California
So...I'm trying to amend or at least create a process to obtain an exception to our city chicken ordinance. I contacted the Sustainable division of City Planning, they told me that the Animal Control division of the Police Dept are in charge of that. I contacted City Animal Control, they said they only enforce, but aren't in charge of the rules or exemptions or anything like that, City Planning is in charge of that because its a zoning issue. I had read other peoples' stories of being sent on the run around, but I guess I didn't think it would happen to me!
roll.png
(naive)

On the positive side, I've created a facebook group (More Backyard Chickens for Santa Barbara City), go join! And I have gotten in touch with a local columnist who owns chickens, as well as a business downtown that has a coop behind the business with some "undocumented" girls. I'm hoping to provide my neighbors with lots of good information on backyard chickens so that they can make an informed dicision. And my end goal is to be able to legally have 6-8 girls in my backyard, either through changing the ordinance or obtaining an exemption from the city.
fl.gif

Any helpful insight or words of encouragement?
big_smile.png

Thanks!

Here is a word of encouragement! I hope that you get everything that you are pushing for! I'm wanting to start this process myself. We lost our little flock a couple of years back.
barnie.gif
Our neighbor had some, too, and held onto her cockerels too long and someone complained. Zoning sent us the official letter followed by a visit. We complied and re-homed our girls. Not long after though, another neighbor got two hens and still has them. So, now I'm ready to make some waves.

Back
Top Bottom