And then, there were DUCKS!

Lol, reminds me of how I got my ducks. Dragged kicking and screaming into owning my first 2, with the threat that if my husband brought them home he would sleep in the garage for the near future. He did it anyway (for our kids he said) and I fell in love that very second. Two weeks after they got here I had him outside with a shovel digging a pond for my ducks on mother's day. Three and a half years later I still have one of those girls and added 9 more ducks, roughly 30 chickens, and 12 turkeys. I tell him its his fault for forcing me to get the very first two.

It is like we were separated at birth! Do you have a blog? I am always on the lookout for family homestead/farming blogs. I love seeing better ways to do things, keep critters, or grow foods. If you liked this tale, you are invited to check out our family's blog about obtaining the other animals that rule our lives. But, we wouldn't have it any other way!

I do no have a blog, I have a preschooler and a kindergartener and my own little homestead and a husband that spends 75% of the time (+/-) travelling with work. In fact, this is the first time in a few weeks I've sat down to catch up around here... All my veggies are coming in at the same time so I'm canning at night now. I hope to be able to do that sometime in the future though.

I do no have a blog, I have a preschooler and a kindergartener and my own little homestead and a husband that spends 75% of the time (+/-) travelling with work. In fact, this is the first time in a few weeks I've sat down to catch up around here... All my veggies are coming in at the same time so I'm canning at night now. I hope to be able to do that sometime in the future though.
We are still mid-season in Maine, so harvest is still months away. We did put up strawberries already, though. I am looking forward to making salsa, dilly beans, and homemade marinara the most.

I love blogging. It helps me to unwind and keep track of not only where we started, but also to see where we are going. I hope you try it... you know, when you are not busy being supermom.
big_smile.png

Wow, midseason... The weather has been so darn warm all year I got everything in early. Plus, my husband bought me a swanky high output sump pump (strong enough to run a sprinkler) for my pond to make use of their wonderful water in my garden. Tomatoes the size of cantaloupes! I'm thinking of trying to get a bumper crop of corn, but haven't decided on that yet since it would mean sacrificing space for late season stuff.

How much space ate you working with?

I'm looking forward to checking out your blog.

LallyBrochFarm I really enjoyed reading your duck story! Your blog is fun to read also. Your goat story may be me in the future...as soon as my husband agrees to a goat
big_smile.png
I told him I want a couple when we get a bigger place...we'll see
wink.png

Great duck story!

I love ducks, always wanted them as a kid, but as an adult was putting it off. Hubby insisted we get ducks immediately and so we did... even though we had neither a suitable brooder or housing for them as adults. Mad scramble ensues, ducks steal my heart.

Wow, midseason... The weather has been so darn warm all year I got everything in early. Plus, my husband bought me a swanky high output sump pump (strong enough to run a sprinkler) for my pond to make use of their wonderful water in my garden. Tomatoes the size of cantaloupes! I'm thinking of trying to get a bumper crop of corn, but haven't decided on that yet since it would mean sacrificing space for late season stuff.
How much space ate you working with?
I'm looking forward to checking out your blog.
What a great idea about the pump!

Our tomotoes are HUGE, too, this year. Must be just a good year for them? But, they are still all very green. My husband has been eyeing them for fried green tomatoes, but I am careful about doling them out, since I need them for the fall/winter/spring to come. We didn't put any corn in this year because we ran out of time. Each time I drive past a field of knee-high corn stalks, I think, "Maybe it isn't too late?" but in Maine, the weather turns by the end of September and it becomes harvest or lose it. :( There is a greenhouse in my future, but that does me no good now.

We cultivate raised bed gardens. I am not sure of the amount of land we actually cultivate, but I can tell you that we put in 60 tomato plants-all thriving, 36 various pepper plants, 2 tires of cucumbers, 2 tires of watermelons, onions, lettuces, and then we ran out of time. We planted 2 pear trees, 2 plum trees, 2 cherry trees, and a peach tree 2 years ago when we planted our strawberry patch and 8 grape vines. The master plan is to sustain ourselves on what we grow, but not this year!

We wanted to do so much more, but my husband and I also work full time elsewhere. And, there are the animals to care for. This farm thing is in my blood, but can only be built slow and steady.

LallyBrochFarm I really enjoyed reading your duck story! Your blog is fun to read also. Your goat story may be me in the future...as soon as my husband agrees to a goat
big_smile.png
I told him I want a couple when we get a bigger place...we'll see
wink.png
I highly recommend goats. They are wonderful creatures.

I, also, recommend STRONG fencing.

Thanks for checking out my blog. I am trying to grow it and it's following "members". I am always game to be a "partner in crime"- I will try to post more cute goat pictures and videos to help with your persuasion, shall I? lol

Great duck story!

I love ducks, always wanted them as a kid, but as an adult was putting it off. Hubby insisted we get ducks immediately and so we did... even though we had neither a suitable brooder or housing for them as adults. Mad scramble ensues, ducks steal my heart.
That is the way it happens, isn't it. Do you have a post about your set up or story? I love to read what others are doing- gives me ideas to make my husband shake his head at!

What a great story!!! Thank you for sharing
thumbsup.gif

... that i can understand as i have had £3000 Magoi koi once (6 of them) and loosing them was painfull emotianlly and financially

i ended up giving up koi keeping
Oh no!!!
sad.png
What happened to them?
idunno.gif

Hmmm. The garden. We planted a small one this year. We got some great beans and a few tomatoes. Then, the ducks figured out how to get in and demolished everything within minutes. Now there's just some potatoes poking up and that's about it. Oh well. Maybe next year we'll try again with a better barrier.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom